By hating labels - 23/10/2012 08:21 - Australia

Today, at breakfast, my sister labelled me a "feminist." My whole family now refuses to talk to me for more than 30 seconds, and acts as though I have an incurable, highly contagious disease. FML
I agree, your life sucks 23 909
You deserved it 5 474

Same thing different taste

Top comments

You should frame a giant copy of the 19th amendment, just to freak them out.

Comments

A man who tells women to wear a bra? What a strange world...

beddington 7

Feminist used to not wear and or burn they're bras in protest during the late '60's in protest of unequal treatment.

beddington 7

So truthfully, I'm a man that cared enough about women's rights, to pay attention to that section in history class.

38- or maybe you just sat up and listened when you heard the words "no bras".

Wow, ManInTheMachine, you're really betraying your ignorance on the subject of feminism here. Explains your earlier comment.

29- I just finished reading how you picked apart several commenters views on feminism, to find out you didn't even understand the burning of the bras. It just makes your arguments beforehand seem fallacious.

#38 - The origin of the idea of bra burning came from the Miss America protest, though no bras were burned, the story was just exaggerated by the news. History class? Sure...

beddington 7

#144- It may have started with Miss America, but did not end there. There were several similar protest including events surrounding the presidential campaign in '68 of Richard Nixon. So yes, HISTORY class asshat.

#150, I couldn't find any sources to back up your claim. Could you provide some? Preferably something reliable, as newspapers at the time did publish false accounts of bra-burning to make feminists look bad. Regardless, the term "bra-burners" existed after the Miss America protest and before the secondary protests, and it came from newspaper accounts of the Miss America one that exaggerated something that never even happened. So the origin is based on a non-event. You claimed to know the origin, and I'm just telling you that that's false. :P

16's point is what I was thinking about. SELECTIVE feminism. I'll remember that. Oops.

BubbleGrunge 18

Feminism is such a dirty word these day when in fact it's what our grandmothers stood on when they fought for our equality. They're extremes in every genre of human society;I can still be a feminist and happily make you a sandwich!

Hey I wouldn't mind. I'm pretty hungry right now anyway.

BubbleGrunge 18

Hey, culinary skills are important for ANYONE living on their own (yes, I just used a singular "their"; deal with it.) It's not wrong for women to know how to cook, clean, or sew. The bigger issue is teaching men to do it, too. :)

catanita 18

Treat them as they treat you.

Awful I'm sorry- stay strong! Read more Jezebel :)

Urpoppy 21

I'm so sorry you have such an ass-backward family. :(

unknown_user5566 26

Use this to your advantage, OP. If they want to act like they're scared of you, just start demanding things from them. If they put up a fight (say, if your parents don't want to let you go out, assuming you're a minor) just scream FEMINISM!!!! in their face. :)

Yeah and then you can scream respect my authoritah!

24-then my message was not directed towards you and I solute you for standing apart from the people who care to be treated differently. You deserve to be treated exactly like all of your co-works and I hope you are and find a job you love!

EQUAL RIGHTS! EQUAL RIGHTS! You can't hit me I'm a girl!

thatKidzmOm 10

There's a difference between equal rights and the right to not be physically abused. Just throwing that out there.

RedPillSucks 31

I think #33s point is that, in this society, it seems to be OK for women to hit men, but not vice versa.

"Don't hit women" is a male stereotype because women are supposed to be wimpy and weak. How exactly are women to blame for a male stereotype? And men laugh at other men who get hit by women, because the mentality is how can a woman hurt a man? Once again, not made by women.

Schizomaniac 24

"It doesn't count because men made it. Men are to blame." Hahaha. Go somewhere with that bullshit.

thatKidzmOm 10

My point is no one should hit anyone else. Physical abuse is not a sexist or feminist problem....it's a human problem.

unknown_user5566 26

Guys. Really? I think #33's point was to make a joke, based on the negative stereotype that feminism has received.

I don't see how expecting to not be struck by someone bigger and stronger than you is contradictory to wanting equal rights. I, however, much prefer the phrase, "Don't hit me. I'm a gun toting feminist, muthafucka."

thatKidzmOm 10

And that's why I thumbed him up before posting my comment. :) wasn't trying to start an argument or anything. I guess my point is hitting is wrong, regardless of who's doing it. :)

EQUAL RIGHTS! EQUAL RIGHTS! You can't hit me, I'm a human being who has the right to not be abused or threatened in any way! Fixed it for you.

thatKidzmOm 10

Rattus...I swear I thought the original comment was funny and understood it to be a joke. I just also saw an opening to state my belief there as well. :)

@92 ... You are probably the first one I've come across to mean it in a 'joking' way rather than 'this is what I think feminism actually is and I know all about feminism because I spoke with some misogynists about it' way.

#58 - Sexism is not a uniquely male creation, it's just an exaggeration of how the sexes are perceived to act (hence mothers being suspicious of men around their children, but fine with other women around them). Let me remind you that *everyone* is affected by gender roles. A lot of women unknowingly perpetuate them. Internalized sexism and whatnot. And I really doubt that the hitting thing is just based in "women are weaker"... in the past, there also seemed to be the ideas that men were more capable of evil and that women were delicate things to be protected, not unnecessarily beat. There are a lot of sexist ideas that are deceptively in one gender's favor, while really affecting both.

RedPillSucks 31

It's a perverse age we live in when liberalism and feminism are now bad things.

TheDrifter 23

All it takes is a few morons to take a good idea and run to the extremes with it to give the whole concept a bad reputation.