By howprofessional - 06/09/2013 21:23 - United States - Dearborn

Today, at a job interview, I was asked what I thought of twerking. It was a bizarre question, but trying to get on the interviewer's good side, I said I thought it was pretty cool. He snorted and said I'll be job-seeking for a while yet. FML
I agree, your life sucks 23 922
You deserved it 47 171

Same thing different taste

Top comments

He was probably just afraid that you would start randomly twerking against walls... and doors... and windows... and water coolers... and people in the office. It can be a bit distracting.

That's when you should have said "I thought you said weekend working."

Comments

Honestly, you're better off. You don't want to work for the sort of place that would ask irrelevant, no-win questions in an interview and not hire you based on your answer.

You should have responded with a question "What is twerking?" - could have possibly dodged a bullet. Not everyone knows what that is. My parents were clueless as to what twerking was. I asked my parents if they saw the awards show with Miley Cyrus in it. When they replied with "yes" I showed them the part of Miley's awful performance when she started twerking and explained what it was (I also explained that people with asses and know how to twerk are the individuals that do it right). The expression on their faces was priceless. Sorry you didn't get the job OP.

I would have said "my preference on twerking has no effect on my job performance."

Exactly! What the hell does it matter? It doesn't.

I'd have told him his mother is a *****.

You should have promised him that you are only ok with girls twerking....who KNOW HOW to twerk......no Miley Cyrus involved...

Sorry OP that really sucks. You should report the interviewer for asking an arbitrary question and using your answer to disqualify you for a job. It's discrimination. Albeit discrimination against people who like twerking, but it's discrimination all the same. What kind of dancing you do or do not enjoy is NOT a legitimate reason to not hire someone. He might as well have asked you "are you religious?" or "do you like apples?" or "are you fond of polka dots?" those questions are as equally arbitrary and have no reason to be asked during an interview. Report him for unfair hiring practices to the nearest Equal Employment Opportunity office. "Dancing preferences" may not be protected under the law, but if he's using a dumb question like that to decide who he wants to hire he needs to be reported.

Sometimes interviewers ask "illegal" interview questions to interviewees just to see how they would respond. It's actually quite common. The interviewer was probably just asking a question that would catch op off guard and have him have to think on his feet in order to come up with a professional, but polite response.

Um, if it's illegal they shouldn't be asking that. Ever. Regardless if they're using it to get a "polite and professional" response from the interviewee. If they can't weed out the unprofessional people who applied for the job without these illegal questions then they need to have someone else do the interviewing. And if they're going to discriminate on an arbitrary factor like dancing practices then they need to be reported.

There are so many damn references to Miley Cyrus, it's so annoying!!