By aviationgeek - 18/05/2016 18:18 - United States - Bothell

Today, as a Uber driver, a passenger requested a ride at 5:30 a.m. so he could go a half block to the McDonald's drive thru and back. FML
I agree, your life sucks 11 959
You deserved it 2 488

aviationgeek tells us more.

Op here. the guy didn't tip or offer to buy me any food. it was a $3 fare.

Top comments

Well you got paid didn't you? And you did sign up for that "job" didn't you?

I am also an Uber driver... I've totally had this happen to me too! I don't mind it, usually I get free food, and get paid and sometimes tipped on top of it.

Comments

If someone's hung over I can totally understand it. As long as they tipped you well and were thankful you shouldnt be complaining

I don't like this FML because Uber/Lyft services are a two-way street (if you will). Driver's responsibilities: Provide a safe, friendly, and clean environment for your riders. (They are getting into a stranger's car, after all!) Don't discriminate against your rider unless they give you a valid reason to express concern/discomfort. If the distance is short, provide excellent service and you're likely to receive a nice tip - at least from me! Rider's responsibilities: Be where you say you'll be and provide a clear destination of where you need to go. Be polite and courteous to your drivers (you're paying them, but they still deserve respect for driving you at your convenience). Don't be stingy on the money. It may cost them more in gas than their pay for your trip. (TIP, TIP, TIP!) TL;DR/My point - If the distance is an unreasonable distance for him to walk, it's reasonable for him to request a ride, especially if you're being paid to drive him.

I seriously don't understand what the problem is. Were you forced to take the job? Besides, he may have an invisible illness. He may have looked fine but had a hard time walking even a short distance. You can't tell someone's health from how they look, after all.

Helldemon 32

Drive-thru's refuse walk up orders so that's probably the reason.

I have advance flat foot and a thoratic muscle disorder it hurt to even walk the 500 meters to my bus stop

Did he at least offer to buy you some?

I hope he at least bought you some fries, OP. In all seriousness, if he paid for you to take him there and back then what's the problem?

shut up. you got paid to drive half a block

You got paid for pretty much nothin tho soo Nothing to complain about

You do realize that's like a $2 fare? He may have gotten paid but it was literally cents

Perhaps the children here don't realize that the driver doesn't get paid the entire fare but only get a percentage

with Uber drivers it is different. because they use their own vehicles, etc, they pay Uber a fee monthly to continue to stay registered with them, and then they keep everything else. the fee is reasonable (usually paid off with your first 4-5 fares each month) and the rest becomes pure profit. you can also refuse fares if they put in where they are headed. and there is a minimum fee of $8. so if you are going a short trip and it isn't going to cost much, you are still shelling out at least $8 as a rider. so this driver got paid decently for a very short trip. plus at the end of the day it is their job. that's like being a doctor and complaining you had to take a patients temperature. it comes with the territory

first off we don't pay a flat fee per month it is 25% of total fare + booking fees of $1.75 in most areas. so in your example of $8 fare you take $1.75 off leaves $6.25 then 25% so another $1.56 leaves $4.69 to the driver but in ops ride (being a short run to the drive through and back) it's a minimum fare which is $5 in most markets so a little more math. $5 minus $1.75 = $3.25 then minus 25% ($0.81) leaves $2.44. then after all that you need to take out for gas and maintenance. tl;dr short rides that take time and are minimum fare like drive thrus actually make a driver lose money. expecially on uber when even though you should most passengers don't tip.

Most drive-thrus won't serve anyone who isn't in a car. If you really want McDonald's but the only thing open is the drive-thru and you don't have a car, calling for a ride seems like a pretty smart solution to me.