Anonymity

By Anonymous - 18/05/2016 17:51 - United States - Westfield

Today, I got my grades back. I got a very poor evaluation for my lit class, which was odd because it didn't match the impression from my end-of-class meeting with the professor. It does, however, include a nod to the supposedly-anonymous negative class review I gave her, though. FML
I agree, your life sucks 12 152
You deserved it 1 674

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Take that directly to the dean. Not only is that unethical of your professor, it's illegal.

She probably figured it out by writing style--everyone has a unique turn of phrase. Definitely take this matter to the dean. If she can't handle criticism she should not be in her profession. Also: this is why you wait until after receiving your final grade to rate your professors.

Comments

Take that directly to the dean. Not only is that unethical of your professor, it's illegal.

It's handled in much the same way that a case would be handled for firing in retaliation in the workplace. It's not common, but I have heard of cases won for a very similar situation.

You could argue for bias towards students that reviewed the professor in a positive way. OP, if you could gather enough evidence proving that students that reviewed well got better grades, it would be case closed. Arguing that she showed favoritism is also an option.

They could also make an argument for it being coercion in a way, though since it could seem so in hindsight, I don't think it would hold up as well.

Mmm. Curious. Sorry to hear that OP. It's gotta really suck when shade like that gets chucked at ya. My school holds on to the Eval sheets till the following semester. (Still aren't signed, tho)

Mathalamus 24

It is only one class, with an apparently unprofessional teacher. I suggest you take it up wth the head honcho, if it won't make things worse. Usually, things get worse. Be ready for that.

OP said the professor gave a nod to the negative review OP write, which is all the proof needed to get the grade changed without repercussion.

She probably figured it out by writing style--everyone has a unique turn of phrase. Definitely take this matter to the dean. If she can't handle criticism she should not be in her profession. Also: this is why you wait until after receiving your final grade to rate your professors.

vikingchick 22

At my college, we had to do evaluations during the last week of classes so students would actually respond. I agree it should be given either after the class ends before finals or after the final, but I doubt as many students would participate by giving evaluations.

At my university we had to complete the evals to actually receive our grades.

A lot of schools, such as mine for instance, hand out the rating sheets a week or 2 before the final exam and expect them to be returned the same day.

My school doesn't allow us to review classes after we get grades. They are due by a specific date before the end of the semester if you're going to do them. If you do them you get your final grades a week early.

My college required it be done before final grades were posted to prevent your potential positive/negative grade from influencing your review. It was done online and each class year was given a incentive to complete them.

redlizzybeth 25

Sadly most schools wont allow you to wait until final grades have posted before requiring a class review. They make it a pass/fail part of the class. I have had this issue and hated it.

I get that they want students to do the evals, and while the teaching style is still fresh in their minds, so they do them during class time before the final. That's fine. But why not just wait to give the results to the teacher until after the close of the semester?

Most schools (like mine) require them to be done before the end of the term. However, unlike OP's school, mine doesn't allow professors to see them until after grades are due to the school, in addition the evaluations being anonymous.

My school has us do them during the last week of classes, in the actual classroom. However, the teacher must leave the room and the evaluations are given to a student in the class to take to the main office of whatever department the class is in. The teachers aren't supposed to be able to see the evaluations until a few weeks after they've posted our final grades.

clicker2 10

At most schools the reviews are sent to the admin office and are typed up to avoid this.

At my school, we do the evals at the last week of the semester, before finals. However, they're not available to the professors until after the grades are released.

rookie mistake. Always wait til you get you final grades to leave your negative evaluations. there's always time for that after. textbook YDI

My university had reviews done mid semester in the first 15 mins of a class with the professor being reviewed not there. No option to do it at your own time.

Most schools, mine included, make you do the professor evaluations the week before finals. So before saying OP deserves it, you should probably know it wasn't in their control. Textbook asshole.

Even if the OP did have the option to leave the review after final grades were out and still chose to write it before, they still wouldn't deserve a bad grade from their professor for it. As a teacher, it's you're job to remain professional no matter what review people give you, don't take it out on your students because they were giving their honest opinion. If anything, some of the reviews could be constructive criticism that could help improve the class. Also, if you don't want to be criticized, maybe you shouldn't be a teacher because that basically comes with the job.

#35, are you really asking that on a website/app where part of the acronym of the name is short for "****"?

Sounds like someone needs to be reported. What a dumb mistake... not by you.

I ALWAYS hated filling those things in college!

Goblin182 26

That's why I never fill out those surveys. Anonymous my ass.

Yup, I'm thinking writing style gave you away. I had one student call me a "dust-bag" due to the spelling I knew who it was.

That sucks... My school doesn't give teachers back reviews until after grades are due