By GeoKid - 18/03/2013 03:09 - Canada

Today, after six months of writing a 40 page paper criticizing a famous method, I found out the professor who conceived it has transferred to my favorite college to head the department I'm applying to study in. They require I submit the paper with my application. FML
I agree, your life sucks 37 136
You deserved it 4 936

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Awww. Maybe he'll appreciate that you actually studied him and made an effort :)

audreyfml1994 15

I'm sure he'll enjoy a good challenge. What's the point of knowledge if not to be challenged?

Comments

Considering that it is a 40 page paper, his odds must be pretty good then.

If your criticisms are fair, your paper is consistent, well written, and adheres to the specifications your department requires, go ahead and submit it, regardless of who will be reading it. Be prepared to offer ways to improve upon the method, or alternative solutions to the process entirely. If the professor in question does not give your paper due consideration because of his or her own work or personal feelings on the matter, then he or she is not being objective (which is one of the worst infractions any scientist could commit).

If it's a good prof, they'll enjoy the challenge to their theory. I've challenged my professors before and it's led to some interesting debates.

My experience in academia has been that your ability to support your arguments and research matters more than your conclusions. Even on the LSAT, it only matters that you can form a rational argument, not which side you argue for.

You might try giving the professor the benefit of the doubt as being at very least open to criticism instead of letting him know you are NOT in advance!

FinJage 18

If he truly is a man of science, he will listen to criticism and appreciate your work.

If he's a true academic, he will welcome the criticism.

I really hope you won't apply for college, 14. If you even graduated high school with that English.

Inciter 33

Maybe he'll appreciate that you considered his method worth studying and writing about.