By #agirlcandream - 27/11/2017 15:09 - United States - Pearl

Today, at age 18, I am now the guardian of my sister's 10-month-old and 4-year-old. Why? She decided to "work on her" and enlist in the army. Guess that means no college for me for the next year. FML
I agree, your life sucks 4 622
You deserved it 341

Terrenixwitch tells us more.

Terrenixwitch 11

Hey guys! Update, the father gave full custody to my sister and wants nothing to do with them. He is also in jail for not paying child support before signing over full custody. As far as the kids, I'm taking care of them the best I can but it's hard since I also work. I love them to death and wouldn't want to give them up. I wasn't ready to be a temp mom this young. I know she will do awesome in her training but it put a lot of financial and mental stress on me. I had to learn quick how to take care of two kids. Thanks everyone for their advice! Also, I had to sign for them because I couldn't see these two innocent kids go through a traumatic experience such as being ripped away from their family after their mother leaving for a year. It was a shock and took a while to adapt but I'm making it work!

Top comments

PhantomCrevan 8

Yeah, I'd be talking to a lawyer and seeing what options there are. Even if said options would be government care. She legally can't force you to care for them, and you shouldn't. You don't "better" yourself by dragging someone else into the hole you dug yourself into.

I don't think that it's supposed to work that way. Especially since it sounds like she essentially abandoned them- I'd see if there's anything you can do, legally, about having custody moved to someone else.

Comments

This might sound terrible and I’m sorry if it comes off that way, but those kids deserve a better mother than one who runs off and abandons them to work on herself. By the same token you are not responsible for your sisters irresponsibility. If they are legally in your care at the moment i would call CPS and get them put into foster care with visitation rights on your part. If your sister has a problem with that she shouldn’t have left.

There's nothing more important in the world than family. These kids may not have lucked out with a mum and dad, but (hopefully) a loving, caring aunt will give them the love, care and security they need to have a normal life.

I'd seek a way to get her hit with criminal charges, for what is basically child abandonment. And even if that couldn't get anywhere, you could sue and bring up a civil case for reparations for your time, money, and effort spent. Keep track of all your finances spent on these kids. What recruiter let her enlist with her situation? Or you could contact her CO, explain the situation, and see if the military could try to install a sense of responsibility in her, she's obviously lacking. Disgusting, some people should not be mothers. Meanwhile, praises for OP, what an incredibly difficult situation.

https://www.fns.usda.gov/wic/women-infants-and-children-wic This is a good place to start looking for help with food for young children. Some local Churches also have programs to help. I am glad you are putting the children first. Good luck.

Terrenixwitch 11

PSA!! I just got my account back and I did not write this fml. Someone in my life, not naming them, knew my story and we recently got into a pretty bad fight and they used my story and twisted it to get FML's and try to make someone they know I love(my sister) a bad guy! She's a wonderful mom and has provided for her kids and overcame everything she's been faced with. Also! I do not have custody of the kids, my parents do? I did take the year off to help because my sister needed this after being torn down so much in life. She graduated and I'm beyond proud! She's a fighter and a winner and strong as hell! And did what she had to for her family :) I'm furious that this false fml was posted. I just found it on my other account ,SaladToast, I made after not being able to log into this one for weeks. End of psa!!

Oh Lord. "No" is a complete sentence. Better learn to use it.