By Anonymous - 12/12/2016 04:33 - United States - Yuma

Today, after buying hundreds of dollars worth of Christmas presents, my transmission blew up on the interstate heading home. Now, I either have to return the gifts or not drive over 25. FML
I agree, your life sucks 10 297
You deserved it 975

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Ask for a new transmission for Christmas.

I would return a couple of gifts and take care of the necessities. There are always birthdays, OP.

Comments

Always have an emergency fund for these sorts of situations. Budget carefully in the future, making sure you account for extra spending around Christmas time.

Don't you realize everyone don't have that extra money to put away? If he did he wouldn't be on FML.

Then those people should not be spending hundreds of dollars on Christmas presents. Anyone who really cares about you will understand if you say that things are tight for you. Better yet, be creative and find non-monetary ways to show people how much they mean to you.

Torrea, that's why I said budget. Put a little away each month for the future. It takes time and work. Plan what you'll be spending. Write down and keep track of how much you spend on what. Strive to live below your means.

Sorry OP... Honestly, depending on how far you live, I wouldn't mind driving under 25, (and then probably asking for the transmission for Christmas like top comment said) but I think that's just me...

Where are you in Colorado? Dave at Advanced Transmission in Fort Collins is a standup guy. My work does semi frequent business with him.

moo77_fml 20

Feeling your pain.. I've done most of my shopping and my car won't turn over FML

You should just return whatever presents you need to, to afford the repair. Also, I'm sure your family will understand when you tell them what happened. Don't stress to much OP it'll work out.

Dude, sounds more like a cylaniod, might just be like 60-80 dollard. Fyi cylaniod shifts the tranny, so you cant leave first gear.

It's good you care about your friends/family, but in this case, I recommend returning the gifts, taking care of the transmission, and using whatever money you have left over to buy cheaper (maybe personal or sentimental) gifts that your family will like, without costing too much. At the same time, let them know to not buy you expensive gifts either- if you explain your transmission blowing out, they will understand. Also, on a side note, if your car is a stick shift, I recommend learning how to drive stick properly and being more careful when driving. (Duh) You don't wanna go above 3500 RPM's very much at all, for very long... That should really only happen when accelerating to pass somebody etc. I knew a friend who drove his car on like 4000 RPM's and it blew out within a week or two and he was wondering why... Lol

I'd return the more expensive gifts and fix your car then with whatever money you have left over get some cheaper gifts. it's not about the money you spent on the gifts, it's the thought that really counts. if you can't buy a gift for everyone then just explain the situation. if they aren't selfish they should understand.

Get the price estimate first, before you decide to return some or all gifts. YDI for not having (good) insurance - it sucks to pay but very useful in situations like this.

Umm... pretty sure fixing a transmission costs more than a couple hundred $$. Good luck