By cats1234 - 07/04/2016 19:19 - Canada - Red Deer

Today, $1,000 were stolen from a deposit box to which only I and a coworker have access. I was so nervous during my interrogation that the cop said he had no doubt I was the one who stole the money. I had nothing to do with it. FML
I agree, your life sucks 23 876
You deserved it 2 107

cats1234 tells us more.

Op here, I do not work at a bank, I work at a bong shop the keeps the money we deposit in the bank in a safe, which only pays a little above minimum wage, they do have cameras but I don't know if the RCMP looked at the footage or not. The RCMP are taking it very seriously and whoever is responsible is going to be charged I just hope they are able to catch the person who really did it. I am certainly not going to replace money I did not take, but more so I would not want the record that goes with it. I don't know if they can charge me without evidence. I didn't know how to respond to some of the things the cop was saying which is what made me nervous (I have pretty bad anxiety). He said I stole the money because I am in a bit of hard times and Easter was coming up and there is no way to track cash, I told him I didn't even buy one piece of chocolate for Easter never mind $1000 worth and the only hard time I'm having is, having my pay withheld because of this situation, which wasn't a good enough answer for the cop. It's hard to prove my innocence because I was the one who found the money missing in the first place, $35 missing from the til and reported it to my manager who said it was probably just a mistake, and to check my coworkers deposit in the safe for the missing money, when I opened it there was only $4.15 when it was supposed to be $350 so I reported that and they came to the conclusion it must be my fault because, their words "I was the last person to see the money" but it was already gone when I got there. Then a week later I did my deposit for the day and put it into the box the next day my coworker said all that was left when she went to the bank was around $10 when it was supposed to be around $400, then my manger decided we take our own deposits home with us and deposit to the bank on our days off which fixed the money going missing problem, but then on Easter Sunday after I closed at around 6:15 and took home my deposit someone went into the store at night and used the alarm code that was just reset a few days before to stop the alarm from going off only me and the other girl know the code, I am pretty sure they didn't take any money that time just broke a bunch of pipes and bongs which is strange. My theory is maybe my coworker didn't know if I would take my deposit home and went to look for it. Guess I'll just have to wait and see!

Top comments

ourtneyc 14

I'm so sorry OP, I hope you can prove your innocence. Good luck!

Comments

If they have no evidence they can only hold you 24 hours for questioning I suggest lawyering up

davek 36

So are you saying... that you wouldn't have much to lose if you beat the holy crap out of said co-worker?

Sounds like the cops are trying to scare you into confessing, since there's a 50/50 shot you did it (in their minds). Try to keep cool and just keep repeating the facts. They can't really pin it on you for being poor or reporting missing money. And you aren't the last person to see it- the person who stole it saw it last. I'd say the real problem is that your boss has a stupid system for dealing with money and some pretty unscrupulous employees. Keep your head up and good luck.

Good news after 3 weeks they have caught my coworker and she is fired and being charged !

That's awesome news :) good for you OP , hope your boss apologizes for accusing you

This is fantastic to hear! I hope you get an apology from that horrible Police Officer who was accusing you (I would honestly lodge a complaint about his behaviour!) and an apology from your boss.

cheshireau 26

Oh thank goodness! And I'm glad they apologized profusely

Thanks for the update! It's nice to know that sometimes things DO work out the way they should.

dallas4141 4

OP you should refuse to talk to the police without an attorney present.

Ya I had never talked to police before so I didn't think it was so important but I learned my lesson!

Is it $1000 were stolen or $1000 was stolen? I mean I guess it is 'were.' Why does that seem weird? Ehh, just ignore me.

It would be "was" because the $1000 is a single entity, if that explains anything.

It kinda sucks that a lot of signs of being nervous are also signs of lying. Hope things work out.

Most cops look for people who don't act guilty, criminals typically have acted out what they are going to say. Thus acting less guilty. Still though innocent till proven guilty

Plead the 5th! Get a lawyer. Also, by "trying to prove your innocence", you may be self-incriminating yourself