By cats1234 - 07/04/2016 19:19 - Canada - Red Deer

Today, $1,000 were stolen from a deposit box to which only I and a coworker have access. I was so nervous during my interrogation that the cop said he had no doubt I was the one who stole the money. I had nothing to do with it. FML
I agree, your life sucks 23 876
You deserved it 2 107

cats1234 tells us more.

Op here, I do not work at a bank, I work at a bong shop the keeps the money we deposit in the bank in a safe, which only pays a little above minimum wage, they do have cameras but I don't know if the RCMP looked at the footage or not. The RCMP are taking it very seriously and whoever is responsible is going to be charged I just hope they are able to catch the person who really did it. I am certainly not going to replace money I did not take, but more so I would not want the record that goes with it. I don't know if they can charge me without evidence. I didn't know how to respond to some of the things the cop was saying which is what made me nervous (I have pretty bad anxiety). He said I stole the money because I am in a bit of hard times and Easter was coming up and there is no way to track cash, I told him I didn't even buy one piece of chocolate for Easter never mind $1000 worth and the only hard time I'm having is, having my pay withheld because of this situation, which wasn't a good enough answer for the cop. It's hard to prove my innocence because I was the one who found the money missing in the first place, $35 missing from the til and reported it to my manager who said it was probably just a mistake, and to check my coworkers deposit in the safe for the missing money, when I opened it there was only $4.15 when it was supposed to be $350 so I reported that and they came to the conclusion it must be my fault because, their words "I was the last person to see the money" but it was already gone when I got there. Then a week later I did my deposit for the day and put it into the box the next day my coworker said all that was left when she went to the bank was around $10 when it was supposed to be around $400, then my manger decided we take our own deposits home with us and deposit to the bank on our days off which fixed the money going missing problem, but then on Easter Sunday after I closed at around 6:15 and took home my deposit someone went into the store at night and used the alarm code that was just reset a few days before to stop the alarm from going off only me and the other girl know the code, I am pretty sure they didn't take any money that time just broke a bunch of pipes and bongs which is strange. My theory is maybe my coworker didn't know if I would take my deposit home and went to look for it. Guess I'll just have to wait and see!

Top comments

ourtneyc 14

I'm so sorry OP, I hope you can prove your innocence. Good luck!

Comments

I get the exact same way! It the thought of being accused and yell at for no reason that makes me look guilty. I hate when people say if you cry your guilty! Good luck Op!!!!

They do it to put pressure on you. don't worry OP.

That sucks, just be honest next time

Teh_Links 17

OP was honest. He/she had nothing to do with it.

As long as you really didn't do it, you're in the clear. You can't be fired or charge without solid evidence. Good luck OP

While I agree, FYL, if you did nothing wrong be confident and stand up for yourself. You have nothing to hide, so you shouldn't be scared.

Mathalamus 24

i know 1000 dollars is a lot, but you could simply replace it?

Well for a start it would make them look guilty and could contribute to them being charged with the theft, secondly why on earth should they replace 1,000 dollars someone else has stolen??

Op here, I do not work at a bank, I work at a bong shop the keeps the money we deposit in the bank in a safe, which only pays a little above minimum wage, they do have cameras but I don't know if the RCMP looked at the footage or not. The RCMP are taking it very seriously and whoever is responsible is going to be charged I just hope they are able to catch the person who really did it. I am certainly not going to replace money I did not take, but more so I would not want the record that goes with it. I don't know if they can charge me without evidence. I didn't know how to respond to some of the things the cop was saying which is what made me nervous (I have pretty bad anxiety). He said I stole the money because I am in a bit of hard times and Easter was coming up and there is no way to track cash, I told him I didn't even buy one piece of chocolate for Easter never mind $1000 worth and the only hard time I'm having is, having my pay withheld because of this situation, which wasn't a good enough answer for the cop. It's hard to prove my innocence because I was the one who found the money missing in the first place, $35 missing from the til and reported it to my manager who said it was probably just a mistake, and to check my coworkers deposit in the safe for the missing money, when I opened it there was only $4.15 when it was supposed to be $350 so I reported that and they came to the conclusion it must be my fault because, their words "I was the last person to see the money" but it was already gone when I got there. Then a week later I did my deposit for the day and put it into the box the next day my coworker said all that was left when she went to the bank was around $10 when it was supposed to be around $400, then my manger decided we take our own deposits home with us and deposit to the bank on our days off which fixed the money going missing problem, but then on Easter Sunday after I closed at around 6:15 and took home my deposit someone went into the store at night and used the alarm code that was just reset a few days before to stop the alarm from going off only me and the other girl know the code, I am pretty sure they didn't take any money that time just broke a bunch of pipes and bongs which is strange. My theory is maybe my coworker didn't know if I would take my deposit home and went to look for it. Guess I'll just have to wait and see!

They cannot charge you without evidence. I mean they can certainly try, but it won't stick without proof, and most prosecutors wouldn't even follow through with it because it would be too difficult and mess with their conviction average when they loose. They either need to 1) find the money in your possession, 2) have documentation (video) that you took it, and/or 3) you admit you took it. They could use finger print evidence, but considering the fact you touch the safe regularly, and so does everyone else, it's unreliable. I assume they have none of these things or they would have charged you already. A cop's "feeling" and the fact that you saw the money last is not evidence, because someone could have went back to take it. Your hard time is just motive, but that isn't evidence either, they need something physical and tangible. Don't worry about looking anxious, most people do when being questioned for a crime, I think a cop should be considerate of that. Just don't admit to anything. If they keep pestering you, ask for a lawyer. In fact, you should always have a lawyer, that is a right, and they will keep cops in line and make sure you're not unfairly treated, abused, and keep them from trapping you. If they bring you in for questioning again, most importantly remember, if they have not charged you, they CANNOT hold you, you can leave whenever you want. They will often question people for hours to wear them down, and don't inform you you're not under arrest and can leave whenever. Don't let them do that, do not think you have to stay just because they are interrogating and questioning you. Until they say the specific words "you're under arrest" you are still allowed to leave. I hope everything works out well OP, if there's cameras hopefully they'll check them and find out who it really is so you can put this behind you. Best of luck!

Suaria 38

Like the person before me, you have a right to a lawyer whenever you are detained by the police. A lot of times the police will read you your Miranda rights which is you have a right to a lawyer, you have a right to refuse answering questions, and you can stop questioning at any time. Cops are required by law to tell you these things before questioning so a person will make a willing confession. They can interrogate a person for several hours which often wears down a lot of people to the point where people make false confessions. Essentially if the police come back to question you, you should insist on having a lawyer where you either get one or a public attorney will be appointed to represent you.

This is Canada. You don't actually have the right to refuse to answer questions. You can't leave if they've detained you. The detaining must be justified, but they can force you to stay there.

I'm from Canada and my degree is in law. We have our Charter of Rights and Freedoms, which outlines our legal rights, sections 7-14. None of this is true and completely false. You always have the right to remain silent, you don't have to answer their questions. What do you think would happen if someone didn't answer their questions? They would beat them? Also, if your rights have been read then, yes, you have been arrested, at which point you can't leave. But if they're just questioning/interrogating you, and they haven't read you your rights and said you've been arrested, you are absolutely allowed to leave, section 9) Everyone has the right not to be arbitrarily detained or imprisoned. We're a free nation with rights, not a dictatorship, the police have to follow these rules just like any other democratic country.

You work at a bong shop? Can I recommend a product that will help you with that anxiety?

I know what you mean but did not what to be high while taking to police lol.

Probably a smart move lol. And congrats on getting it cleared up. Too bad you can't curb stomp your former coworker for putting you through this.

Sounds like when I worked for a company. The assistant manager would redo our paperwork saying it was wrong and magically we were then short on our tils. Finally one day the boss came in an hour before him, counted everything, and put it back like it had been that way all night and when he came in and said things were wrong he was fired instantly. That sucks dude and hope it gets taken care of.

I hope it gets cleared up quickly, it seems ridiculous to blame you with such terrible "evidence".

Please do a follow up on this story! I'm curious as to who the culprit is

I really can't add anything to what #61 has said, she's given some fantastic, solid advice (I'm a social sciences BAhons student where a huge part is criminology). If you're on a low wage (sorry, being Scottish I'm unaware of what your terminology would be here) you can apply for what we call ScotAid/Legal Aid, which is where your state pays your legal costs and you get a solicitor/lawyer pro bono. As a former criminal several years ago (many misdemeanours) turned social scientist, I highly recommend Legal Aid, there are many fantastic solicitors who work for "free" (you don't personally pay, but they are paid by the state to take your case) who are fantastic quality and very good at representing their clients. Don't worry about the anxiety part, if you have legal support they will explain that to the Police, who should then be extra considerate. If they continue to basically harass you, get their name and badge number and get your legal support to lodge a complaint, as it is your right as a citizen to complain if you are unhappy with their behaviour(s). You also have the right to request that you speak/deal with another Police Officer entirely if you're unhappy with the person(s) you are dealing with. I hope this helps, and good luck!

It actually got cleared up yesterday I guess the cop was just trying to see if I would crack or something. The culprit was my coworker the full time person at my store. My managers gave me her job and I got a lot of apologies. My coworkers has been fired and as far as I know is being charged I'm not to sure what you get charged with for stealing over $1000 though and also I account of breaking and entering.

Your coworker's charges would probably be theft under $5000 and break and enter. The punishment they will get depends on if the prosecutor decided to go for an indictable offence - up to 2yr jail time for the money, up to 10yrs for the B&E. Or a summary offence - fine of $2000 and up to 6months jail for money, up to 6yrs for the B&E. I'm so glad everything worked out for you OP, must be a real weight off you shoulders, and I'm happy everyone apologized and you get to keep your job. Time to just take it easy and get back some normalcy, I wish you well!

orangejubejube 20

Did not read your whole explanation; got as far as "RCMP" and "bong shop" and started laughing too hard to continue. Hope all works out OP ❤️

Burden of proof is on them. Cops can't charge you unless they have definitive proof. You didn't do it. Just keep telling the truth and you should be fine. Good luck OP.