The proposal

By Still No Ring - 15/06/2016 21:49 - United States - Lisbon

Today, I was at my boyfriend's house with his family. A kitten walked over to me with an engagement ring tied to its collar, along with a note that said "Marry Me?" I got super excited, only to find out that it was for his brother's girlfriend of 10 months, not me. We've been together 4 years. FML
I agree, your life sucks 17 425
You deserved it 1 518

Same thing different taste

Top comments

The brother should have been paying more attention to where that kitten was going.

Comments

That's such a cute surprise! You should be happy for them. Your time will come OP.

CliffyB03 28

The kitten chose you. Looks like you've gotta marry the brother

It's OK. It's better than it isn't a surprise for you and that you two discuss it first. Plan on getting married, and expect a proposal in the coming year. Surprise proposals have a lower chance of success. Married 7 years here with planning and talks of marriage first! :)

just be cause they're brothers doesn't mean they think the same..maybe your boyfriend thinks in a logical male way, when the cake tastes good, don't go changing the recipe! he's obviously not afraid to lose you to another man and gets all he wants without having to put a ring on it..so if you get free milk, why go buy a cow?

This was worded terribly, comparing a person to cakes and cows, ridiculous and objectifying. If the boyfriend isn't afraid of losing her, even though they're not married, isn't that a good thing? He trusts her and feels stable, which is what makes a good marriage. If you marry a person because you're worried about them leaving you for someone else, you don't trust them, and you're not ready to get married. A marriage doesn't stop a person from leaving, it just makes it a longer process. "He gets all he wants without having to put a ring on it," well if he thinks this way, he shouldn't be getting married, he's too selfish. It isn't all about what you want and get, in a relationship, you need to consider your partner's wants too. Also, "if you get the milk for free why buy the cow," I hate this saying, she shouldn't have to withhold herself and her needs just to push her boyfriend in a corner and force her will to get what she wants, that's unfair to both of them. What they need to do is communicate, not think in outdated, 1950s, metaphorical thought processes.

right, because nothing makes for a good marriage like a proposal that is made only because the woman denied him sex to force him to get married....

why would his brother do that with non married couples in the room without warning them? kittens are not exactly trainable.

Marriage is just a piece of paper. If you know and he knows that you're committed to each other then what's the big deal? My guy and I have been together for 9½ years, still don't have a ring on it, whatever. We have a child together and he has been a fantastic step-dad to my daughter from a previous 'marriage' ( though in the eyes of the gov't we are married because we have common-law status, as with my previous 'marriage'). I don't see why people seem to think that a ring and a piece o paper means that the relationship will last forever. I've known couple who were together up to 16 years before getting officially married, only to end up another statistic ( 3/4 times it was due to fighting over the debt they now owe from having the wedding). If you love one another and want to spend the rest of your lives together I don't see how an expensive wedding is ever going to improve on that.

For clarification- by becoming another statistic I mean they got divorced. Just in case anyone was confused by my vagueness.

Angelrose2004 17

I have to disagree with you. Generally, people date to get the end result of marriage. It's an extra step in commitment. It is so much harder (and costlier) to split when you're married. I kinda feel as if my husband thought I was worth the risk. But marriage is more than a piece of paper. It is also an identity. I would hate to have a different last name of my children. The belief of marriage is HUGE, just like the idea of having children. Would you recommend somebody who wants kids stay with someone who doesn't? If one has that strong desire to carry the last name of their love, they should be with somebody who feels the same.

And I have to disagree with you. I would think that the end result of dating would be to find the person (or persons of you are polyamorous) that you wish to cherish and spend the rest of you life with (which is not contingent on you two being married). and while I'm not saying that people shouldn't get married - you do that if you want to - but at the same time we cannot say that dating is all about trying to find a "husband or wife" as some people date just solely for sex, which is okay if both partners agree. and we also cannot judge couples who chose not to get married and are together as their love is not any less real because of it nor is the love for the children they have not real because they have different last names, which I think is really not that important for you to have in order to be recognized as a family.

Why do people have to push others to marry or not to marry.. Op seems to want to marry, she should then. If someone doesn't, they shouldn't. Unless they make a conscious decision to change, which might make them unhappy. It doesn't matter if things are "good how they are now" if someone wants married why should they have to give that up? People need to make it known that they do or do not want to get married because if it clashes either someone has to compromise or they split. Nothing wrong with either but someone shouldn't be pushed to give up something they might feel strongly about..

That sucks! Don't feel bad he hasn't proposed yet, it could just be the circumstances. It took my bf 10 years to propose but I didn't mind much until year 9 haha.

maybe at this time your boyfriend isn't ready for marriage. I'm sure you don't want to force marriage on someone who isn't ready and have them resent you later....but that's just my opinion....hope everything works out

If someone proposed to me like that, I'd say yes. Sorry you had to get your hopes up only to be let down. Sometimes you have to make the first move and sometimes you just need to have patience. He will ask when he is ready.

4 years is way too long. I'd dump his ass and find someone who doesn't have commitment issues