The great replacement

By mommy - 18/04/2014 02:31 - United States - North Andover

Today, my ex-husband came to pick up our two kids for his weekend with them. Seeing his new girlfriend was in the car, and desperate for conversation, I asked her name. My kids unhesitatingly blurted out, "Mom". FML
I agree, your life sucks 56 224
You deserved it 5 343

Same thing different taste

Top comments

buttcramp 21

Damn, OP. This really sucks! That's not cool that your ex and his girlfriend are having the kids call her that especially if their relationship is still so new.

Youch! I'm sorry... At least they're taking the divorce well. Because the main focus NOW should be on the children's well being... but stillll! FYL

Comments

Children tend to break a parent's heart all the time. This will not be your only disapointment.

Without weighing in on the OP (because I have already given my opinion upthread), I'm rather surprised at the number of people who find it wrong or strange or disloyal to call a step-parent 'mom' or 'dad'. Sure, forcing your kids to call them that is wrong, because you can't force your kids to like/accept a new parent, but my SIL's kids call my brother Dad without any prompting from either of them whatsoever. It doesn't seem disloyal to me to call your primary caregiver by Mom or Dad even if they're not your biological parent. You can still love (or not love) your birth parent as much or more without hating a new parent.

kingdomgirl94 29

I think the issue is that its a new girlfriend, not someone they'd likely know very well or who is for sure going to be in the picture for a long time.

Agreed in the case of the OP (though we don't know how new the 'new' GF is, or whether anything less than the OP's arbitrary amount of time makes them not new), but I was more commenting on the commenters who seem strangely adamant that they would never ever call a step-parent 'Mom' or 'Dad'.

Don't think much into it. I call my step mom "mom" and she has been "mom" now for 30 years as my parents divorced when I was 1. I call and treat her as mom. Unfortunately you divorced for whatever reasons, but whomever becomes apart of your ex's like will undoubtedly be called mom as well. (Especially with younger kids)

That's really hurtful, but kids aren't mature enough to know what they f saying and how it feels. Don't think too much abt it and just move on

sorry OP that must have been hurt so bad...

You should put your feelings aside and be happy your kids are being so loved and taken care of they want to call her mom as well.

ileenefudge 29

That's not the issue though. It would be slightly different if she were actually a step mom and even so most step parents are called by their name. But she is not. She is only their fathers GIRLFRIEND so she has NO right to claim the title as mom, especially when the children's real mom is still in the picture.

Maybe it's because I was a teenager when my mom remarried, but I've never called by stepfather by anything but his name (and his kids from his prior marriage call my mom by hers). It's one thing for young children to call a stepparent "mom" or "dad", but a presumably new girlfriend? No. OP needs to have a talk with her husband about why the kids are calling his girlfriend "mom".

My daughter's friends call me their 2nd mom, but I have never allowed my step children to call me mom. They call me by my name. They see me as a 2nd mom (even though their father and I have divorced) but I have always corrected them if I heard them calling me mom. My boyfriend's children call me by my name and I've been with him for 4 years. I would never expect them to call me anything other than my name. I also want to state that I have a very good relationship with both my boyfriend's ex and my ex husband's ex. I try to be respectful of the relationships they have with their children.

Attacksloth 33

Unfortunately kids are sponges and they will absorb what they are told or what they see or hear. I know it's no consolation to you now, but when they grow up and adopt their own ways of thinking or viewing the world, I'm sure they'll see and appreciate who you are and what you do for them.

Vanshikap 24

does this fml seem familiar to anyone? like its been posted before...hey fml team,do you track these for repetition?