The future is bleak

By Anonymous - 12/03/2022 10:00

Today, I just bought my own house after divorcing my wife of 30 years. We'd been childless by her choice, and as I stood in my new living room, looking at the emptiness, I couldn’t help the feeling I just bought a 2-storey, £125,000 coffin that I’ll one day die alone and be buried in. FML
I agree, your life sucks 2 078
You deserved it 295

Same thing different taste

Top comments

OopsieDoopsie 14

And I can’t stop thinking at how inexpensive your new coffin is compared to American houses

Jon Tessler 14

instead of being all gloomy, look at this as a new beginning, get out and mingle, also you can always adopt kids to make the house feel like a home.

Comments

OopsieDoopsie 14

And I can’t stop thinking at how inexpensive your new coffin is compared to American houses

Don't be silly. No one gets buried in a house unless they're murdered there.

And even then, the custom is usually to remove the corpse from the house and put it in a coffin before burying it. Unless you put in your last will that you want to be cremated into your own house, it's not going to happen.

Jon Tessler 14

instead of being all gloomy, look at this as a new beginning, get out and mingle, also you can always adopt kids to make the house feel like a home.

Any chance you date someone and eventually become a father?

It’s a new, exciting journey. Now go and make many memories in the house and fill it with happy vibes.

slhiggx 17

Being childless was not her choice alone. You have to live with the decisions you’ve made.

If his wife didn't want kids, then that's pretty much a rap. She who carries has the deciding vote.

ladyoflaw 10

Unless she kept him in a dungeon while not wanting kids it’s not solely her fault.

That’s really the whole concept of marriage. There’s literally no other point to it.

It may be too late to adopt for you but why don't you try fostering?

If you're a stable human, adoption is always adoption. If you want/ed kids, you still can. There are lots of kids out there who need a good parent who will love them.

Marriage is a two way street, my friend. It cannot have been "by her choice" because that's not how functional marriages work. The time to sit down and have a long conversation or divorce early is long since passed, but don't shift the blame entirely into your wife's lap. Whether through fear or through laziness or whatever it was that led you to get to this point, you both did it. You both let it get this far. Also, children are not the only way someone can avoid being alone. Unless you are specifically worried about who will take care of you when you're old (a terrible reason to want kids, btw) you can and should get out into your community to make friends and foster relationships with your friends and neighbors. Stop pouting and sitting back seat to your own life - that's obviously what got you here in the first place.