The big con

By JustOutofCollegeAndBroke - 16/07/2015 06:56 - United States - Los Angeles

Today, I agreed to help out with my boyfriend's sister's baby shower. They forgot to inform me that "helping" meant splitting the cost of everything. I now owe his family $275. I don't know how to back out without looking cheap. FML
I agree, your life sucks 28 707
You deserved it 2 645

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Murilirum 23

It's not looking cheap if you didn't know it meant paying money. $275 is a fair chunk of change and not something you should just give out because someone else says you should. Also, why is a baby-shower requiring a collective acquiring of $275 per person?!

Just speak with the sister and explain that you misunderstood, and if you can't afford it explain why.

Comments

leogachi 15

"Nobody said anything about money when they asked for help. You know I'm broke, and any money I do get has to go to school or food and it's not fair for you to try to pressure me into paying." Stand up for yourself. Who cares if they think you're cheap anyway?

bridges13 19

Seems a bit much if you're not family.

Honestly this isn't a situation you should have ever been put in, and you need to use your boyfriend as the mediator he should be. When I hear "I need help with a baby shower" I think showing up early to set out decorations and food and maybe organize some games, hundreds of dollars isn't something you spring on someone. They're using you and it's unreasonable. Tell your boyfriend you will help set up, maybe buy a cake, but that HIS family needs to foot the bill for the shower they're putting on for her. He needs to pass the message along, and have your back on this.

dagarr 11

That just sucks tell them that was not part of the part of the deal

Just explain you can't afford it! How can someone judge you for not wanting to spend that kind of money in a stupid baby shower?!

helping out is when you help decorate or run an errand not pay for everything thats rude that they would ask that of you

You have no obligation to pay them. Just tell them you refuse to pay that much money for someone who isn't related to you in any way

Yeah that's def not cheap they're the ones who tricked you into thinking you have to pay instead of doing manual work like you thought.

Just say no. No one can take advantage of you unless you let them