The asshats always win

By Iabnysmwytm - 27/03/2021 16:30 - United States - Bluffton

Today, I finally had enough of my coworker mocking and misgendering my transgender daughter, so I screamed at him. I got written up and suspended without pay for 2 weeks. He got praise from our boss for handling the situation with class. FML
I agree, your life sucks 1 491
You deserved it 1 177

Same thing different taste

Top comments

And this is why sexual orientation needs to be added to our non-discrimination laws on a national level.

You were right to stand up for your child. But it’s never appropriate to scream at anyone at work - That’s where you went wrong. You should have gone to HR or your supervisor about your coworker. Then they might have been in trouble and not you. It’s fortunate it was just a suspension and you weren’t fired. But do that again and you will likely be fired.

Comments

Um I didn't scream at my stepmother for doing that! If you had gone to the boss first and said something about it, then told your coworker to stop misgendering your child I would be on your side. I've Learned to ignore people who are like that. Case in point? I told my stepmother that my daughter was going to look like my father no matter her gender same as my sister and I. Either start using her new name or I wouldn't talk to her much. My sister got it quickly my stepmother nope and as I result I don't talk to her much

bleachedraven 14

Those are useful viewpoints for anyone who has had to deal with misgendering.

And this is why sexual orientation needs to be added to our non-discrimination laws on a national level.

Trans is not sexual orientation but gender identity. But I agree that sexual orientation and gender identity do need to be added to nondiscrimination laws at every level. The problem is, OP isn't the LGBT+ person; their daughter is, and I'm not sure protections apply to parents or relatives of LGBT+ people.

J15237 25

Screw that shit. You ******* beat their asses and then quit that job. Nobody should be making fun of a child. That is ridicules and uncalled for.

You were right to stand up for your child. But it’s never appropriate to scream at anyone at work - That’s where you went wrong. You should have gone to HR or your supervisor about your coworker. Then they might have been in trouble and not you. It’s fortunate it was just a suspension and you weren’t fired. But do that again and you will likely be fired.

Sadly, the first step towards dealing with a problem like this is STAY CALM. Screaming at someone simply hangs a virtual sign around your neck saying "I CANNOT CONTROL MYSELF."

Drama in the workplace. Doesn't matter what the subject. Biggest reason "personal" should stay personal and out of the workplace. Your proper course of action would be to go to HR about the issue. To handle the coworker, screaming was the poorest choice, no matter your motivation. Politely correct the co-worker, then tell them you do not wish to discuss your personal life at work with them or anyone, then move on to a work topic. Be an adult. Teach your child to act like an adult and stand up for themselves like an adult.

If I were you I wouldn't have even been speaking about my daughter, transgender or not or any of my family at work period. Work is work and stays that way.

Bleh123 4

So sorry to hear that. That sucks. But I condone you for standing up for your daughter 🤍