Thanks mom

By unemployed - 24/08/2012 18:00 - United States - Alhambra

Today, my mom called while I was at a job interview. I ignored the call, but the interviewer was so offended by the fact I'd rudely left it on at all, that he threw me out. I found out from my mom later that she'd called to wish me good luck. FML
I agree, your life sucks 14 478
You deserved it 26 317

Same thing different taste

Top comments

It should have been on silent but the interviewer still should have been more understanding...and who would actually want to work for someone who overreacts like that anyways

Well now you know for next time i guess. My mom usually does the same thing -_-

Comments

Why, why are people such bitches about phones? The majority of us own one, have them on us at all times, and I'm sure just about everyone has forgotten to silence their phone at some point. Only when someone makes a habit of forgetting does it deserve the ire of the people.

I don't go to the movies that often but there is always some asshole in there that never turns their phone off even AFTER the theater runs their "Please turn off your phone" feature for five minutes.

We all forget at some point to turn our phones off. But during a job interview is one of the most important times, if you forget for that you are out of luck. The problem isn't that he owns a phone, or had a phone on him, it's that he didn't have the common sense to turn his phone off before his job interview.

I would understand not having the phone off if you put it on silent. I barely ever turn off my phone because I'm paranoid and need a phone handy in case someone tries to kill me; but I always make sure to put it on silence before something important

Once I read this FML that song 'Ironic' by Alanis Morisette popped into my head. Sorry, OP. Better luck next time!

kmoore21 0

As he should have. That is rule #1 of interviewing. If you can't get a simple thing right someone else will.

TheyCallMeDamien 17

Damned if you do, damned if you don't. You really want to work for a guy who's that anal retentive? Remember this, there will be other job interviews so it's not the end of the world.

You don't read the news much, do you? Some people have been unemployed so long they've maxed out their benefits. An ex-colleague of mine just lost her house after being out of work six months. The interviewer isn't always who you work for; it's often the person whose sole responsibility is finding the best person for the job. If you don't turn off your phone, it can be inferred that you are careless, forgetful, unprofessional, uncommitted, or easily distracted. Why should anyone risk his job hiring that man when there are so many others who demonstrated an ability to plan ahead and turn off the phone?

Marrach 7

YDDI. Define? You Definetly Deserve It. You should've turned your phone off. Common sense really.And why would you need your phone during an interview? :/

That's a stupid question. He didn't need his phone during the interview, but maybe he had it on him because he needed it after the interview. Even leaving your phone in your car is generally a bad idea, and it may be that he took the bus. Also it's good to bring it because sometimes things change, if he took the bus to his interview and left his phone at home, maybe they would have called him and he missed it, or there could be any of a million reasons why he'd need his phone. I know lots of people who drive hours to go to their job interviews. I'm sure there are people who bus to different cities for interviews too. Would you bus to another city and leave your phone at home? There is absolutely nothing wrong with bringing your phone, so long as you turn it off (or on silent).

Noor got thumbed down? Wtf that wasn't expected..

I had a job interview yesterday, and I turned my phone off, but thought that it was pointless to do so, because recently I haven't been getting many texts at all, especially not during the day. I got 3 texts during my interview. It's crazy how those things happen.

As a boss I will say this : if you have your phone on when I'm interviewing you the interview is over - if you can't turn your phone off it shows that you don't think my time is valuable and it's totally disrespectful.

Should've turned off your phone, but being thrown out isn't really a way to respond to a phone not being shut off either. That phone call COULD have been an emergency. (Thankfully, it wasn't.)