Thanks, I hate it

By Anonymous - 25/05/2011 05:21 - Canada

Today, my boss called me into his office. Expecting a long overdue promotion, I hurried in. Instead, he told me he thought I would be perfect to take his son on a pity date, because he's a suicide risk due to his depression. FML
I agree, your life sucks 38 506
You deserved it 3 636

Same thing different taste

Top comments

kingsamuelcdt 0

maybe if his son is satisfied you could get a raise ;)

PSQ91 6

Look on the bright side OP, he trusts you. Next step will be promotion :)

Comments

Maybe if you have sex with him, you can seal the deal... with the promotion of course.

paradiseisland01 0

go on the date , and maybe you can help the poor guy. Your boss thought you were the right women for the job . You might even get a raise from from your boss if you can really help him brighten up his day .

maybe you'll fall in love with the guy, you never know. true love can be found in e strangest places

You know, complaining about having to cheer someone up who has been contemplating suicide kind of makes you sound like a total bitch. But I'm sorry you didn't get that promotion /sarcasm

0opsie 6

Suicide is a serious problem, but it's not her responsibility to help him deal with it. She doesn't even know him. It's not fair to guilt and manipulate someone into doing things for a suicidal person. A date won't help him if he's depressed.

I agree with what #65 said. OP's boss is in a position of power and should not be forcing a date with his son on her. How would you feel (@#64) if someone forced an unwanted date on you? The whole situation sucks. Sounds like OP is screwed either way. If she says no, the boss will hold a grudge against her. If she says yes, she has to go out with someone she has no interest in dating. And if things go awfully wrong between them, then OP's boss will still hold a grudge against her. OP, I suggest you start looking for another job. If you boss has no common sense not to use his position of power in this case, what is to stop him next time?

Throw in a promotion and you've got yourself a deal!

The boss obviously means well, but trying to cure suicidal tendencies with a date is not the way to help his son. Agreeing will only encourage his misguided attempts. Better to gently steer him toward finding a counselor for his son-- maybe offer to do some research or locate a support group if you want to help.

lr4182 0

sounds like sexual harassment to me...

psychwardnurse 0

if the son is a suicide risk, then he needs help from mental health professionals.. not some girl taking him out on a date. I hope your boss realizes this before its too late. as for your boss asking this of you, so many are clueless when it comes to depression and other mental illnesses that he probably thinks that he is helping, but he's taking the wrong route for him to get help.

Having dated someone with depression and suicidal tendencies, I can honestly say that the last thing someone in that state of mind needs is a little romance. He needs the aid of a therapist and/or psychiatrist, and ASAP.