Thanks for your help

By wowthanksworld - 22/03/2013 15:42 - United States

Today, I was on the subway when I felt like I was going to faint. I got off the train at the next stop, walked to a bench, but fell over and passed out. When I woke up, I looked around at at least 25 people, who had stepped around me, passed out, in the middle of the platform. FML
I agree, your life sucks 38 098
You deserved it 3 273

Same thing different taste

Top comments

perdix 29

There were 25 people who stepped over you and passed out? You may need to wear less perfume, or something.

That's how the world goes today unfortunately.

Comments

That would be the Bystander Effect. It's more of a psychological thing than 'people are dicks and I've lost faith in humanity'. Still sucks either way.

13 makes a good point. The more people there are, the less likely it is for someone to help. It's just the logic that "someone else will help," but when everyone thinks that, no one helps.

mansen 15

there is also the will it inconvenience me or no, put me in danger or not type effects too that rn through these types of things. also settings and how others perceive the victim...I.e. is victom a 'bum' , drunk, stoned, then they tend to think victim deserves really doesn't need help rather than maybe that person is having a stroke, heart attack, hypoglycemic crisis etc. I watched a video in my social sociology class of a man trying to crawl across a street in the rain, repeatedly collapsing. many cars drove around him, pedestrians stopped, looked and carried on. not one person stopped to help. When the class was asked about the man...barely anyone thought he might be anything but drunk instead of someone in a medical crisis. Very sad it is the immediate thought we tag onto any actions out of the norm.

I hope next time you let some one know on the subway that you don't feel well. Granted its possible they might rob you, but they are more likely to help knowing you're sick and not drunk.

In today's age, you're lucky you weren't robbed. Or worse, had people take photos if they're genitals on your face.

It makes me really sad that people can be so cold and uncaring. Hope you feel better OP

mokielove 10

that right there shows what this world has come to. you could have been seriously hurt. and no one could care less. people these days.

It's actually something that happens a lot and it's called the bystander effect. People figure that if it was something really important the person in front of them would have done something about it. A woman had a heart attack in a convenience store and died with people walking around her to get to the counter to check out.

HeadlessSparrow 20

You were passed out on the ground. People don't see you when you're laying on the ground. Just playing with ya. People are just not that helpful these days. I mean some people are, but the crowd in that subway were not!

Those are some crazy abilities you have, able to make people pass out just by stepping over you, 25 people no less!

This is actually how I read it the first time around. I had to re-read the last sentence a couple of times to understand it.

HeadlessSparrow 20

This also reminds of a video I watched where this famous musician was playing a musical instrument at an airport or someplace, and a lot of people just walked on by.

i know what video you're referring to; the musician was Joshua Bell, a world famous violinist. but this FML was nothing like that

Also, many people wouldn't recognize Joshua Bell if they saw him. While he is indeed very famous in the classical music world, he isn't well-known enough among the general population for any more than a few passers-by to notice him. (I believe 5 people actually did notice him, and one person stopped to talk to him, if I recall correctly.)

Sounds a little like one of those erectile dysfunction commercials cue the whistles please.