Sounds like he's got it all figured out

By Anonymous - 10/04/2022 16:00

Today, my son apparently has no interest in having a life. He goes from his tiny one-bed flat to work, then back home again to play with his computer. It’s a good job, so he can afford a life, but he has no friends, never dates or goes anywhere, he even gets his shopping delivered. What can I do? FML
I agree, your life sucks 379
You deserved it 1 015

Same thing different taste

Top comments

mattiagardin 15

Leave him alone to live like he wants instead of how you want?

He’s probably got a load of friends online who he plays with and has gotten to know really well. If he doesn’t then he needs to be the one to realise that he needs social interaction, however some people are just introverts and like a quiet life

Comments

mattiagardin 15

Leave him alone to live like he wants instead of how you want?

He’s probably got a load of friends online who he plays with and has gotten to know really well. If he doesn’t then he needs to be the one to realise that he needs social interaction, however some people are just introverts and like a quiet life

xxWTFxx1981 23

It's his life agree with everyone else as a parent I also know how hard it is to let your kid grow on their own but besides for supporting them you need to leave them be....

Are his bills paid? Does he seem happy? Then leave it alone. As an introvert with online friends, I'm very similar. I have a good job that I love, friends to play games with, I visit my brother/parents a lot, go to the movies on my own peacefully and it's a good life.

Not everyone needs or wants real life social interaction. I've had online friends for 20 years that I'm closer to than my family and they're way less drama than real life friends. He may also go out more than you know. He's an adult, you are not privy to every detail and don't get to decide how he lives. If you are helicoptering him, that's why he is the way he is

OfficialMrD 3

Sometimes people just want to be by themselves… i have friends, am involved in a lot of social events but still like my “me” time to where its just me and myself. Absolutely nothing wrong with that

I agree with all the earlier comments; your son may just enjoy his life as an introvert (or have more of a life than you are aware of). However, if this is unusual for him, or there is some indication that he’s isolating himself or unhappy, you may want to try having him over for dinner once or twice a week or offer to do the shopping with him so he gets out of the house a bit more regularly. A pet can sometimes help as well, especially in cases of mild depression. Whatever you do, make sure you’re not passing judgement before you’ve really listened to their side of things and be gentle if you bring up possible mental health issues (and listen more than talk!).

wysegirl 24

Let him be. if he is saving up his money and living his life the way he wants to that is his business. As a parent our job is to guide, love, and support our children as long as it's not illegal.

Has it ever occured to you that your son may have some social anxiety? Even if he does not, it's not your business what he does. Some people have no interest in dates or have trouble making friends when adult because most of the friends are met during childhood/teenager years. As long as he is happy, you should be for him as well. He can sustain himself and that's a lot more than some can afford right now. Stay in your lane.

That’s a lot of words for “WAAAAAAAAH I WANT GRANDBABIES!!!!!!!111111111oneoneoneone”

This seems disingenuous, OP could honestly just be worried. When I was younger my parents voiced the same concerns about me because they thought I might be unhappy. And they've always been staunchly supportive of me not wanting kids.

Your parents are a rare exception. My parents are a liberal mishmash of rainbows and happy horseshit and they still pressured me to get married and have kids. In retrospect, that was a poor decision. I have already promised to be more like your parents and never say diddly poo about my kids’ life choices. If for no other reason than to counteract my ex, who has openly said she will pressure them (which most parents do.)