Sobering

By Imnotfromhere - 13/06/2021 16:01

Today, I went to a bar to celebrate my 26th birthday. I got ripped off by the bartender all night because she secretly gave me non-alcoholic versions of my drinks. Apparently I look like I'm 16, so she thought my ID was fake. Happy birthday to me. FML
I agree, your life sucks 1 043
You deserved it 187

Same thing different taste

Top comments

I mean, that has to fall awry of consumer law, false advertising, declaration of ingredients standards or fraud law. If she though your ID was fake, not serving you is one thing, but lying about what she’s serving you is most likely illegal (depending on where you live since we don’t even have a country listed). I’d at least insist on a refund from the bar management.

She ripped you off *all night*? How couldn't you tell your drinks were lacking alcohol?

Comments

I mean, that has to fall awry of consumer law, false advertising, declaration of ingredients standards or fraud law. If she though your ID was fake, not serving you is one thing, but lying about what she’s serving you is most likely illegal (depending on where you live since we don’t even have a country listed). I’d at least insist on a refund from the bar management.

Since you were the only sober person in your party that night... how did the others do?

She ripped you off *all night*? How couldn't you tell your drinks were lacking alcohol?

Michael Sawyer 11

Um I would contact a cop and a lawyer because if she was charging for alcoholic drinks and giving you drinks without the alcohol then you have a case of theft and possibly false business practices.

At the age of 26 have you never had mixed drinks with alcohol before? In some mixed drinks, the alcohol can be harder to taste than in others, but in all of them it has some taste. I cannot see how a sober person who has to ever had a real mixed drink would not notice that there was no alcohol. And after one full mixed drink and a reasonable amount of time you should be able to feel the effects (unless it’s your first time with alcohol and you don’t know what it feels like.) I can’t help feeling that unless this was your first time having a mixed drink with alcohol, you should have quickly noticed the lack of alcohol. If the bartender didn’t believe your ID they should have refused to serve you. Looking younger than you are isn’t the worse problem you can have, though I understand it can be frustrating at times. My own first time with mixed drinks was a disaster. I had never had hard liquor before and my friends at college gave me whiskey sours. I discovered I preferred the taste of Jack Daniels straight over the sour mix. Then I thought that since I didn’t feel drunk right away, I had some sort of “natural immunity”. Short version- I was puking my guts up soon enough and thinking I was going to die. For years the smell of Jack Daniels made me nauseous….