Sensory overload

By Anonymous - 24/07/2021 15:01 - United States - Steele

Today, I visited my brother, and noticed that my 17 year-old nephew was being unusually cold and grumpy; a sign that he's having sensory overload. Because his parents are so loud, I knew they were responsible. When I confronted them, they responded by yelling at me and grounding him. Sorry, nephew, I tried. FML
I agree, your life sucks 1 271
You deserved it 168

Same thing different taste

Top comments

No it's when you are sensitive to stimuli such as light, noise, smell, ... and there is so much happening your body literally can't take it. Nothing to do with sex.

Dang I hope he's able to be independent as soon as possible. He must be in living hell living there.

Comments

Is "sensory overload" what they call masturbating too much these days?

Haha! I thought the opposite. I thought they should have sent him to the bathroom with his phone and tell him to make himself un-grumpy.

It's probably a mix of both: he overdid it, and now he's grumpy cause he can't anymore. Classic teenager problem.

No it's when you are sensitive to stimuli such as light, noise, smell, ... and there is so much happening your body literally can't take it. Nothing to do with sex.

Sad is when adults don't understand jokes. Sensory overload is a fairly self-explanatory, basic English phrase, so thanks for the explanation, but I'd hope it totally unnecessary. And since some people seem to need the obvious to be stated: yes, the OP was right to intervene. Yes, her nephew's life sucks. And yes, his parents are absolute cretins.

Dang I hope he's able to be independent as soon as possible. He must be in living hell living there.

His parents need to learn to have some compassion. Has your nephew been checked out for Autism (I’m Autistic)? You sound like a great aunt. Good on you!