Rules and regulations

By Anonymous - 29/03/2022 04:00

Today, I moved into a new home with a HOA, and on the first night I received a copy of the HOA rules as thick as a phone book. I already regret moving here. FML
I agree, your life sucks 765
You deserved it 422

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Buying a house in an HOA makes no sense to me. May as well rent.

Meh, there are worse things in life than reading and following a thick rule book. At least you got a roof over your head, hopefully in a decent neighborhood. If the HOA was an issue, you may have wanted to check that out before moving in.

Comments

Buying a house in an HOA makes no sense to me. May as well rent.

Meh, there are worse things in life than reading and following a thick rule book. At least you got a roof over your head, hopefully in a decent neighborhood. If the HOA was an issue, you may have wanted to check that out before moving in.

YDI, do your due diligence before buying/renting.

kitten79TX 5

That is why I will NEVER live anywhere either an HOA. I know too much about their legal power, and I refuse to let someone tell me what I can and can't do with my property outside of zoning ordinances.

HOA’s are good if you want to live in a neighborhood with a sort of uniform look and no unkempt yards or house exteriors - Which preserves property values for you and everyone else. In many cases it also provides things like a common swimming pool and other shared facilities. They are bad if you get a “Condo or HOA Nazi” who is overbearing and obnoxious. It’s always a matter of degree and it also depends on how good you are at maintaining your property. I grew up the country - No HOA’s and no rules on maintenance and appearance. That worked for my family just fine - But there were a very small number of eyesores in the area. But being more spaced apart it wasn’t a problem. The closer you live to your neighbors, the more you could find yourself wishing poorly maintained properties were forced to do a reasonable minimum in maintenance and appearance. HOA’s are one way of doing this. The short version of all those HOA rules usually comes down to: (1) Pay your yearly dues on time or there will be penalties. (2) Maintain the exterior and yard of your property up to the community standards. (3) You will have to get HOA approval for any major modifications to the appearance and exterior of your property. In the end, it tends to come down to the golden rule - Treat others the way you want to be treated and you will get along much better. Most problems can be avoided by maintaining your property appropriately. Don’t start or get involved in arguments and life will usually be a lot easier.

I routinely pay my dues 3 months late (just before penalties kick in). I don't like how the dues are based on lot size and not home square footage or appraised value (all publicly available on the county tax web site.) Our HOA is corrupt and are now allowing McMansions to be built on lots that are too small and would been in violation of the terms applied to me. They are driving down my house's value, but increasing my lot value. **** them! Make 'em sweat before they get your money!

rotflqtms_ 21

I bought a house in August. I haven't seen the HOA rules yet or been asked to pay my dues yet, but I'm ready for it. I couldn't win any bids on non-HOA homes... plus the one I got looks amazing and has a HUGE yard. I can literally build another house in my back yard and still have a huge back yard left over.