Risky business

By Anonymous - 25/05/2019 06:13

Today, I called in sick to my job. I'm already on shaky ground there, but I was honestly sick. I happened to call in during the mandatory departmental meeting. Apparently, I was supposed to go in a half-hour early. I called in thirty minutes late, during a required meeting. FML
I agree, your life sucks 1 566
You deserved it 1 162

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Wait, so if you called in 30 minutes late, does that mean you called in RIGHT when your shift was starting? I can see why you're on shaky ground...

If they are on shaky ground as stated, a doctor’s note is not going to be enough.

Comments

We get it — you don’t need to explain to us that mandatory means required. I’m guessing your coworkers were OK with you missing the mandatory, required, obligatory, requisite, unmissable, must-attend get-together, meeting, congregation, convocation, assembly, gathering. No one misses the human thesaurus.

If you are legitimately sick than get a doctors note. They can’t fire you then.

This makes sense. I don't understand the down votes

Wait, so if you called in 30 minutes late, does that mean you called in RIGHT when your shift was starting? I can see why you're on shaky ground...

mccuish 25

They can’t fire you if you have a doctors note

If they are on shaky ground as stated, a doctor’s note is not going to be enough.

How were you not informed beforehand? Doesn't sound like it's the most reliable place to work. Also, call in earlier if you're sick (a few hours if you can), although I get it if the place you work wants you in as soon as they open.

To the people saying just get a doctors' note - they can fire someone even with a doctors' note. If an employee has absence which is higher than the company's absence policy allows, and they already have warnings on file it can go high enough in the disciplinary procedure to let them go. And to be frank, if you're forgetting mandatory meetings, your manager probably already has your card marked and you should maybe be thinking yourself that the role isn't suitable for you....