Red tape

By Unemployed - 22/03/2024 00:00 - United States

Today, Social Security is docking my benefits because I have a job. That's normal… Except I haven't had a job since November 2023. After my old boss left, she was replaced by an ableist prick who fired me as soon as he realized that I'm disabled. No matter what I do, they refuse to believe me. Help? FML
I agree, your life sucks 521
You deserved it 86

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Isn't that a protected class in the United States? You probably should sue for wrongful termination.

Lffayen 3

while it is protected, most states have an at-will employment clause that says so long as they don't state a reason they do not necessarily have to give you a reason for why you were fired. So long as that employer doesn't put "disabled " in writing or recorded voice, then there is no case to be made against them.

Comments

Isn't that a protected class in the United States? You probably should sue for wrongful termination.

Lffayen 3

while it is protected, most states have an at-will employment clause that says so long as they don't state a reason they do not necessarily have to give you a reason for why you were fired. So long as that employer doesn't put "disabled " in writing or recorded voice, then there is no case to be made against them.

Why aren't you suing this company? That's extremely illegal!

bidet 8

You may be the victim of identity theft, where someone stole, or just randomly choose, your SSN to put on a job application. If SSA is getting payroll deposits from this impostor's paycheck, they think it's you.

Normally don't agree with the sue happy comments. Firing a protected class sounds like the sort of easy money lawyers dream about.

tiptoppc 19

I’m currently doing that. It’s no picnic and took a month to get a court date. A car accident on the job messed up my spine and head. The car accident was a semi trucks fault that was passing me on my way to a client of my job, and I still haven’t seen a cent, even though they literally put down my injury as the reason for firing me, then did a crap ton of illegal stuff as well all documented. Even with laws in place, sometimes you are forced to lawyer up, as many companies don’t follow laws, don’t care, and even suing doesn’t give money right away. People’s idea of how things should be, and how they really are, ate two different worlds. It sucks. And social security pays crap, leaving anyone in this position without help or as a lifeline is screwed. The government adopted the idea from a Christmas story “then let them die, and reduce the surplus population…!”

Ah, the joys of living in America. I'm really looking forward to my SS years...