Red state

By piss off - 08/04/2016 22:05 - United States - Vancouver

Today, a customer at the fast-food joint I work at gave me a pitying look and asked, "How's that liberal arts degree treating ya?" FML
I agree, your life sucks 19 823
You deserved it 3 207

Same thing different taste

Comments

To anyone who makes fun of liberal arts degrees or thinks a liberal arts degree doesn't result in a decent job; joke's on you. I happen to have both a liberal arts degree and a decent job with great benefits and prospects. Don't listen to shortsighted people OP, you will find your liberal arts degree (if you do have one) has great value someday.

joljenni 6

You're the exception not the rule. Just because you lucked out and achieved a great status with your degree doesn't negate 98% of the graduates working as a secretary, fast food worker, waiter or bartender. Joke's definitely not on me and my Chemical Engineering degree. :P

There are a number of decent jobs one can get with a liberal arts degree....that's what I have and I have a decent paying job and many friends that I graduated with found decent jobs right out of college....the liberal arts have such a broad range of potential jobs that I feel many people who criticize it really don't know what they're talking about. They may not be the highest paying out of all the colleges but if you try hard enough you can definitely get something in your field that makes plenty to comfortably live off of.

I don't know where you've found those statistics but most (and definitely more than 2%) of the people I graduated with are currently quite succesful. Also, having any other degree might just as well leave you without a job if your resume is unimpressive. I did not "luck out" but simply impressed recruiters with the fact that I have been working since I was twelve years old and thus already had lots of work experience.

ouijacorn 9

I strongly believe that people who say this kind of thing have never accomplished anything and hate themselves almost as much as everyone else hates them. Don't take it personally, OP. His shitty attitude doesn't reflect on you.

I disagree - I believe people like this believe that they've accomplished a lot simply because they have a higher paying job, while being completely oblivious to how much they had to rely on other people to achieve that job. They probably never had to worry about if their parents were able to make ends meet while they were growing up, for one thing.

Look at it this way - you might not be making a lot of money (even as the company you works for makes record profits while claiming they can't afford to pay anyone a decent wage - then awards their CEO a massive raise because he wants it) but you're still a better person than that customer.

DeadxManxWalking 27

could be a student trying to pay for college...

This post needs an "I agree your life sucks" and a "You deserved it". Your life sucks because you got a liberal arts degree, you deserved it because you decided to get a liberal arts degree.

joljenni 6

I don't have any problem with people working in retail and food service jobs. But I do find it hilarious when people get a liberal arts degree. They're fluff degrees, pointless. Our culture has accepted 'living the dream, doing what makes you happy' which is all fine and dandy until you're thirty, jobless and/or just scraping by. It may be your passion but is it realistically going to get you anywhere or lead to a job waiting for you at the end of that four year degree and money wasted??

Dont listen to that asshole ask when's the last time he saw the lower half of his body

JPBlaze1301 7

Well if you are actually getting one, or have one, you deserved it.

I don't always talk to liberal arts majors, but when I do, I ask for a big mac, large fry and a coke (diet, of course).

wordygirl 11

Lol! That customer made a funny! Still inappropriate and rude.