Old school cool

By omfgitburns - 06/01/2011 14:54

Today, I had a plaster cast removed from my arm. After telling the nurse it felt like the saw was cutting my skin, she tells me there is no way that it could touch my skin and that I was being paranoid. She cracked open the cast. Burns, blisters and bleeding skin were revealed. FML
I agree, your life sucks 48 502
You deserved it 2 865

Same thing different taste

Top comments

THAT HAPPENED TO ME! the nurse said the same thing. I have the scar to prove it ..

lol she's and idiot, no nurse should ever say something like that.

Comments

Ydi for not being assertive enough with the nurse! If it was bad enough to burn blister and bleed any normal person would be in severe pain and be loudly expressing themselves. Suck it up princess.

**** off. You just told them they basically should've had a bossy fit and scream at the nurse, but ten you tell them to just suck it up. Make up you're mind.

i love the feelin of a saw cuttin my skin!

xdeathangel771 0
Malikai_lives 0

It happened to me too! We should start a class action suit!

sallen0046 4

The "saw" the use to remove casts is designed specifically not to cut skin. I've never seen anyone remove a cast without first demonstrating on their own hand or arm that the saw will not cut you. It's possible your nurse used the wrong tool, but much more likely that you had an issue with the tissue under the cast before they even started. If you had been burned to the point of creating blisters with the saw, which it then ruptured, you would not have been able to sit there and calmly tell the nurse anything.

even if it is designed not to cut skin eventually it will still cut through. If the nurse was dumb enough to hold it in the same spot for a few minutes and continue like that the rest of the way down it could probably cause a cut. she also could have used the wrong tool

jre89 0

The saw they used to cut my daughters cast off didnt vibrate it spun and was definitely not dull edged. It was a spiked razor wheel and she even asked me ahead of time if I would be able to hold her still or if she should get a nurse to hold her still. My daughters cast was fiberglass though, not plaster.

perdix 29

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that people aren't REALLY out to get you ;) That nurse ought to go work in a old folk's home where screw-ups like that are not only tolerated, they are tacitly approved because they free up beds for more paying customers.

MaeeFlowers 0

hahahahahahahahahahahahaha. so true.

Hey, man, I run a hospice for the elderly and I resent that statement. We only hire the highest calibur of nurses and OP's nurse would NEVER be hired unless she chopped the whole arm off. This is just shoddy work, to me. We've got money to make.

they really need a "you're retarded" button

cherrycola22 0

now, i'm not exactly sure about plaster casts, because mine wasn't, but when i got a cast removed the nurse showed me that the saw doesn't spin, it vibrates, i pressed it into my thumb and nothing happened. so either it's a different saw, or you're a liar.

sourgirl101 28

I don't get it. Was the bleeding caused by the saw or not? I've never had a broken bone in my life but I've heard that those cast itch. Maybe the cuts were from sticking those wire hanger in them to scratch?

The blisters were skin lesions, caused by the cast. The saw they use to cut the cast off merely vibrates, and it's impossible to be cut by it. I broke my hand when I was younger, and I had the same problem, but I didn't blame it on the nurse for a minute, but I had the foresight to research beforehand. This is OP overreacting to a natural skin reaction. It happens, they'll just have to get over it.

TaylorTotsYumm 10

It isn't impossible. If you stick anything down your cast to scratch, you can tear the cloth and protective gauze padding leaving your arm open to the blades of the saw.

What the hell kind of place cut off your cast?! I've broken my arm a couple of times and both times the nurse ran the saw along his own hand to show me it wouldn't do any damage to my skin. No decent hospital is going to use an ACTUAL saw which could damage the patient. It must have been a reaction to the cast.