Not cut out for this

By Anonymous - 18/12/2016 02:10

Today, I took my girlfriend skydiving for her birthday. I insisted on joining her to make it a memory for us both, despite my fear of heights. I passed out twice mid-freefall and had to be saved by the instructor both times. FML
I agree, your life sucks 6 799
You deserved it 1 403

Same thing different taste

Top comments

muis545 21

It's the thought that counts. I bet she fell in love for the gesture.

that is so nice. respect my friend.respect

Comments

cootiequeen4444 11

The gesture is sweet but I feel she might have been happier going with a friend who isn't scared of heights. That way she does have to feel bad about having fun while you are so obviously miserable and upset..In fact,.if I knew my SO had a fear of heights, unless it was part of a therapist-sanctioned exposure therapy thing to cure their fear of heights, I would insist that my SO should not go. I'd be thankful just to have the experience on my own or someone whom share excitement with me. And also even people who want to skydive are probably at least a little fearful....so I'd be wary of going up with someone who is scared of heights as then I might start feeding of the fear and getting freaked myself. Not to say again that facing ones feats for the sake of someone you love isn't admirable. I'm just saying it might have made it memorable for perhaps the wrong reasons in the end. Or maybe your gf and yourself should have tackled smaller feats of going against your fear of heights than just going skydiving and you being so scared you passed out twice and needed to be rescued. I'd feel terrible. Especially if God forbid something went incredibly wrong and you got hurt. Phobias aren't typical fears. They need to be handled professionally or at least strategically as not everyone can afford therapy... Hopefully she still had fun though, I'm sure she at least was proud of you putting aside your fears and trying to have a good time with her, even if it was perhaps a little misguided (don't mean any offense).

I guess the whole "go skydiving to get rid of your fear of heights" thing doesn't actually work

Thumbs up for going despite your fear just to share the experience with your gf.

I applaud your commitment! I don't think I would start cuddling spiders if my hubby had those as pets.

Sounds like you knew what you were signing up for. You get a 8 in the sweet department but a 3 in the common sense

Wait, it was your first jump and you jumped alone? I thought that for beginners you had to jump attached to an instructor?

I was thinking the same thing. I have a few friends who are avid skydivers and you have to have multiple jumps attached to an instructor before they'll let you jump alone. If the Op was alone on their first jump, they have a lawsuit they can file.

I have been skydiving a few time and you defiantly don't get to go alone the first time, especially if you say you are afraid of jumping!

Damn, can't delete this. Hit a reply again by accident.