Nepo baby

By WretchedOwls - 03/03/2016 23:59 - United States - Barberton

Today, after weeks of my brother being laid off from work, I was able to finagle him an interview for one of the entry level positions at my work. He got the job, only to refuse it because it doesn't pay enough. I thought 9 dollars an hour was a lot more than 0 dollars an hour. FML
I agree, your life sucks 22 522
You deserved it 1 713

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Some people are just too proud to settle for anything other than the best.

At least you tried OP, too bad it was a waste of time.

Comments

well, he's obviously making excuses so he doesn't have to work.

Not to start a flame war, OP, but is your brother a Millennial?

Not to start a flamewar, but here's some bait...

Reihna_fml 14

He doesn't want to work. I have heard that same excuse from many unemployed people. The fact that any wage is better than no wage means nothing to those who simply don't want to work.

Tell him he's on his own then. You don't want to work then you don't deserve any help

Most jobs indicate what the starting salary will be in a posting or during your actual interview. Some higher paying jobs might negotiate during a job offer, but entry level is always "what you see is what you get". So I wonder why the brother would have gone to the interview at all when he knew he wouldn't accept an eventual job offer? Did he think he could negotiate up to a $20/hr mid-level salary for a $9/hr entry-level position?

And this is why there are so many people jobless. There are plenty of jobs they can get, but refuse to apply for them because it "doesn't pay enough". Well guess what, it's the hard knock life. Get what you can get. I know this isn't all people, but it's frustrating to see so many people use this excuse and then whine about not having a job.

SG44 14

You can't help those who don't want to be helped, good job for trying at least

Some people have so much pride they end up with nothing.

WretchedOwls 11

To answer your questions people, yes he is the mooching off loved ones type as he's been living with my grandma for the past year and a half, his last job paid 11 dollars an hour (machining, my step dad basically handed him this job as well) and after he declined the position, the head of the department offered to put a word in for him at a machine shop in the town he lives in. he also declined that because he 'didn't want to go back to the same type of job'. when I asked him what type of job he plans on getting that paid the 11 dollars an hour he was looking for, he said he didn't know. he doesn't have hardly any bills, and has been saving up money to 'coast on' for quite some time, so at least he can support himself somewhat. I just don't get it. and no, he's not a millenial. I am.

WretchedOwls 11

Oh and he's not getting unemployment either. not because he didn't want to take money out of our step dad's pocket who owns the business, he didn't want to put in phony job applications just to keep getting the benefits.