Nepo baby

By WretchedOwls - 03/03/2016 23:59 - United States - Barberton

Today, after weeks of my brother being laid off from work, I was able to finagle him an interview for one of the entry level positions at my work. He got the job, only to refuse it because it doesn't pay enough. I thought 9 dollars an hour was a lot more than 0 dollars an hour. FML
I agree, your life sucks 22 522
You deserved it 1 713

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Some people are just too proud to settle for anything other than the best.

At least you tried OP, too bad it was a waste of time.

Comments

Does he even have credentials or qualities that would justify a higher pay? Probably not with that entitled attitude.

I wouldn't take it either. Simply because I know I can do better.

skyeyez9 24

Sounds like your entitled and delusional brother is waiting for that $2 million dollar CEO job to open up.

atomicxsarah 17

He should be grateful to take any job. If I was out of work I would take anything I could get even if it was minimum wage. Doesn't he have bills to pay??

TheyCallMeDamien 17

Unfortunately a study showed that people who took lesser paying jobs were less likely to be hired for better paying versus those who held out. Companies interpret people who "settle" as not being ambitious enough or see them as being mediocre. You're damned if you do. You're damned if you don't. You can move up or sideways but not down otherwise they hold it against you. Counterintuitive ain't it?

Exactly this. When you're going to interview for a position what sounds better? "My last job was in my field and paid $45k annually" or "I work retail for $8 an hour"? I'm currently looking for a job in my field and my recruiter superficially told me not to put the unrelated retail work I've done on my resume. Instead when people ask about what I've been doing I talk about my volunteering and studies. Plus when I was working retail it not only limited my energy for finding a new job but on multiple occasions limited my ability to set up interviews.

This is incredibly important advice. Some jobs just aren't worth it, they sap your time and energy and don't even pay the bills. I make almost double $9.00 per hour and it wouldn't pay the bills if I didn't live with my parents.

I guess it depends on his previous level of pay and maybe he feels confident he will get another job like that soon and doesn't want to have to commit to something he doesn't want.

Shay_Shay97 23

Has OP's brother ever heard of the term 'don't bite the hand that feeds you?' OP offered him a decent job, too. For an entry level job, $9 an hour is pretty damn good.

This will always happen when you try to get someone else a job, because deep down they don't really want it.