My body hates me

By Pain_intolerant - This FML is from back in 2011 but it's good stuff - Canada

Today, I caught my finger in a sliding door. It made me pass out and give myself a concussion. My genetics would rather slam my face into the floor than deal with a pinched finger. FML
I agree, your life sucks 28 987
You deserved it 5 091

Top comments

Your brain is trying to save you from the pain of pinching a finger. You should be grateful rather than complain about the fact that your brain is obviously smarter than you are. Wait, what?

Comments

JustinThunder 8

Better a sliding door than a goat.

Sorry, but that's not really how genetics work.

Marbly it's not your genetics and your just a pussy

Sathian 0

This comment was responding to number 1 D:

zowieandzander77 1

um what " your genetics would rather slam your face into the floor"??? I think you need to retake basic biology.

Perhaps you should. His genetics make him prone to fainting in such situations.

zowieandzander77 1

perhaps I should have said basic biology and English class. How one responds to pain is based on hormones and gender that regulate the release of endorphins. I understand that OP was " trying" to say that he/she is genetically predispositioned to respond to pain by fainting however the statement " my genetics would rather slam my face into the ground" is ridiculous and any English teacher would be appalled as would Watson and crick. Ones DNA "wouldn't rather" do anything. Nucleic acids don't have a thought process...

I guess so, because you skipped the day where they taught you what anthropomorphism is.

zowieandzander77 1

Seriously, anthropomorphism is what you are going with? Of course geneticists all over the world should abandon all science and embrace a concept derived for story telling and fables. Let me guess you also believe poseidon controls the sea too? And that rocks can have human characteristics like emotions. And FYI the only time anthropomorphism comes into play regarding science is in the debate whether animals share the same complex emotions as humans not whether nucleotides have decision making capabilities...

You clearly looked up the wrong definition of anthropomorphism. It is the "Attribution of human motivation, characteristics, or behavior to inanimate objects, animals, or natural phenomena." You know, a literary device...

zowieandzander77 1

Yes I know what it means... Hence  why I said do you believe rocks ( an inanimate object) have emotions (a human attribution).  What I think you are trying to say ( though very poorly) is that the OP meant to  use " my genetics decided" as a way to give a human  attribute to something not human. However, that sort of literally device  really doesn't belong in the world of science- which is based on fact and logic not empathic beakers and caring pollypeptides. 

The OP is telling a story, not writing a science journal. Literary devices are perfectly acceptable. You seem to not know what you're talking about.

Quyzl 0

You're infected by your genetics?

I didn't think I'd have to explain this....my fainting is genetics as it's passed through via matriline meaning my mother, grandmother and so on have this condition in which our bodies will temporarily "shut itself off". It's a medical condition passed down through genes....aka genetics. Oh also, I'm a girl.

The only solution is to wrap yourself in shitloads of bubble wrap! GO GO GO, WE ARE RUNNING OUT OF TIME.