Mommy's boy

By motherlessbride - This FML is from back in 2010 but it's good stuff - United States

Today, my husband finally admitted to his mother he'd got married. No wonder she wasn't involved with the wedding. FML
I agree, your life sucks 32 426
You deserved it 3 455

Top comments

oh dear how long have you been married?

Maybe his mom doesn't like her. Sometimes guys keep that a secret to keep from hurting the girl's feelings, especially since the mother doesn't always have a reason for the hate. When my parents got married, my dad stopped talking to his mom because she wouldn't do anything but complain about his being married.

Comments

If he isn't honest with family, he won't be honest with you. Run, run like the wind to get out now before he really FYL!

"Admitted"? Are you his dirty, little secret, OP? There is something very wrong with your husband's relationships. If his mum disapproved and he refused to tell her, he should have at least told you that. The fact that he was dishonest to you about something so personal is a problem. Marital counseling may help.

I can see how this can be an FML. I could also see my boyfriend doing the exact same thing, he already doesn't want to tell his mom he plans on proposing and getting married next year... and we've been together over 5 years. He doesn't want to tell her because he doesn't want to make her cry... :/

The difference between your case and the OP's is that you know why he doesn't want to tell his mom about your engagement. OP's husband didn't tell his mother, but also didn't tell his fiancee about all this. Even if they agree that there's a good reason not to tell the mother, OP should have known about it. Seems like OP's husband doesn't trust his wife--whom he CHOSE to marry--any more than his mother (who, admittedly, he could not choose). If you can't trust the person you chose to marry, you've got big problems.

Look at it this way - you've been married without having to deal with a crazy mother-in-law. Count your blessings.

iknowimawesome 13

Maybe his mom doesn't like her. Sometimes guys keep that a secret to keep from hurting the girl's feelings, especially since the mother doesn't always have a reason for the hate. When my parents got married, my dad stopped talking to his mom because she wouldn't do anything but complain about his being married.

deafeningsilence 8

"He'd got" should be "he'd gotten". Just saying.

No, it shouldn't. It's correct as it is. Just saying.

deafeningsilence 8

Really? My English teacher begs to differ. She always corrects people when they say that..

It is "he'd gotten!" Present perfect tense. Thank you grammar Nazis. :)

Don't worry, your are probably not the only one that has happened to. A friend of mine was with her bf for 7 years, and still had not met a single one of his friends..let alone any family. Its strange, but it happens.