Messed up

By mee - 10/10/2020 05:01

Today, I started new meds because I’ve been emotionally numb since I was 14. I never learned how to manage real feelings and I’m on a rollercoaster that involves crying over nothing, feeling jealous of my husband’s Xbox, and getting angry at inanimate objects. Is there a return policy on this? FML
I agree, your life sucks 2 029
You deserved it 337

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Warp1978 15

I feel you there, I had the same thing in my twenties after a decade and a bit of total isolation (thanks social services). I was taking carbamazepine due to some pretty serious mainia, this will get better, the meds have to built up and your body has to develop a tollerance to a certain extent you can and will get better just hang in there ok.

Don’t these things require a lot of trial and error sometimes? It’s not an exact science, maybe altering dosage or an alternative medication may calm things down. But you’ve also never learned to handle emotions you’ve never felt, so like, therapy’s in conjunction with medication isn’t a terrible idea.

Comments

Warp1978 15

I feel you there, I had the same thing in my twenties after a decade and a bit of total isolation (thanks social services). I was taking carbamazepine due to some pretty serious mainia, this will get better, the meds have to built up and your body has to develop a tollerance to a certain extent you can and will get better just hang in there ok.

I promise it does get better. Weather the storm. It sucks right now but it will be worth it!

Don’t these things require a lot of trial and error sometimes? It’s not an exact science, maybe altering dosage or an alternative medication may calm things down. But you’ve also never learned to handle emotions you’ve never felt, so like, therapy’s in conjunction with medication isn’t a terrible idea.

if you can afford it get therapy. at least to figure out the WHY part of the feelings. like why are you jealous of the xbox, might seem like a stupid question but if you know why you have the feelings it can make it easier to talk about and handle possibly even without meds. best of luck and try not to let it make you jaded and closed off, that can feel even worse. speaking from experience

tounces7 27

I'm kinda wondering why you got married to someone if you're just emotionally numb all the time. I mean, you're basically saying you married someone you have no feelings for?

When your foot falls asleep you can still feel sudden deeper impacts. Love can be like that through emotional numbness.

OP, It is critically important that you have an honest discussion with your prescribing doctor about side effects, questions, and treatment goals. Psychiatric medications are not simple matters of medication like an antibiotic. Your doctor may have to try a different medication or dosage. It’s best to let a psychiatrist establish the medication you need, as opposed to a family practice doctor, they are medical doctors who specialize in the treatment of psychiatric conditions. They are also usually in a practice that includes psychologists who can provide professional counseling. Most times for serious issues both medication and counseling together give the best results. I am no doctor or psychologist, but I have used their services in my own life dealing with episodes of depression.

these sound like valid emotional concerns. are people in your life being truthful?

If you're crying, then it's not over nothing. There is something that is triggering the feelings of sadness, depression, and/or fear. I'm assuming your husband knows that you've been emotionally numb since you were 14. This makes it odd that he would spend so much time on his X-Box that you would feel jealous of it. Is his game playing something that he does after all of the housework, yardwork, cooking and cleaning has been completed, or does he come home and jump straight onto his games without offering to help you with anything? If it's the latter, then it might be time for junior to grow up and realize that you're not his mother; and he has responsibilities to you, and to your home, that need to be taken care of before he gets to spend the night entertaining himself. If you're taking meds, then I'm assuming that your Dr. will have tried to get you into a therapist to help you deal with your emotional state. If you can't afford a therapist, then ask your Dr to help you find some free advice. Sometimes when we 'cry for no reason'... we actually have a reason that we've been mentally blocking for years. You need to unlock that mystery, and your husband should be helping you with this. If he doesn't, then you don't really need him in your life, do you? If he's not going to be your partner, then you're better off on your own.

Sounds like what I've been going through my whole life. I'm diagnosed with borderline personality disorder. Good luck, buddy.