Lookalikes

By RonnieG - 22/07/2013 22:30 - United States - Orlando

Today, I confessed to losing my wife's engagement ring, and replacing it with a lookalike months ago. My wife also confessed that her actual engagement ring was locked in the safe, and the one I lost had been a fake. I've been paying the replacement off on my credit card for 6 months. FML
I agree, your life sucks 46 121
You deserved it 14 129

Same thing different taste

Top comments

crazytwinsmom 25

They say good communication is key in a marriage.

Comments

sillyrosster 11

I get why you would lock it up, but it just doesn't seem right to wear a fake and have the real one just sit there, unworn. What's the point of having the real, valuable one then (besides it being their engagement ring of course)?

monnanon 13

could be that OPs wife is a chronic misplacer of items or has a job that may damage the ring (working with cleaning or as a vet/ doctor) tbh i hate the idea of wearing a ring everyday that cost £150 and would probably not wear one that cost any more than that due to my fear of losing it. ive misplaced my wedding ring a few times but thankfully have always found it. its also made of titanium meaning i cant easily damage it so ive gotten over my fear.

cottoncandymango 17

And the secrets are unveiled!

Grauncho 27

I'm sure your fake engagement ring really made someone's day until they tried to sell it.

This reminds me of a beautiful short story from Maupassant called La Parure, in English "The necklace". Its about a young married woman who borrows a diamond necklace from a friend, in order to look gorgeous and wealthier than she is at a party. After the party, the necklace is gone. She buys a new one to replace it. But her husband doesn't have all that money so the two of them endure ten years of hardship repaying the debt, have to give up their comfortable lifestyle, their maid, etc. At the end she looks miserable and older than her age. She casually meets her friend in a park, who barely recognizes her. Tells her the whole story. Then she learns that the diamonds were actually fake and the necklace was in fact a cheap one. (The full story is available online, look for the necklace bartleby, it's only about 3000 words long)

Wow flashback! I actually read this in middle school! It was a great story. (:

Trisha_aus 15

I remember reading this in school as well. Great story with a powerful message.

tehdarkness 21

Already withholding the truth and not even married yet... Tsk tsk to you both!

After they got married she still kept her engagement ring. Traditionally the engagement ring moves to the right hand while the new wedding ring takes its place on the left hand.

38-not true, traditionally they are worn on the same hand. The left with the engagement ring on top and the wedding band on bottom.

Sorry, but had you been honest 6 months ago and told your wife, you wouldn't have been paying for a replacement. However, I'm wondering about a relationship in which your wife didn't let you know that she had a fake ring for wearing and the real one in the safe. Room for honesty and communication

She's maybe not withheld that info out of badness, rather just forgot to mention it or thought she had. Though by the sounds of things she has two real rings now.

she wore a fake because she takes hers off a lot when she's cooking or cleaning. If she's at my Mims house and helps cook, she takes her ring off. if she's at her grandmothers and helps clean, she takes her ring off. she had a fake so if she lost it, it wouldn't be a big deal. I just wish I had been included on this brilliant idea.

This is the one thing I don't get about expensive engagement or wedding rings. Why spend so much money on them, if it's to have locked it for safety and / or you have to spend a fortune in insurance on top of it. I mean, it's just a piece of metal and a stone. My engagement ring cost 25 eur (around 30 USD), it is a cute simple silver ring with a glass cut stone that looks like a diamond. I wanted one as a symbol of our engagement but would have never expected my fiancé to spend hundreds or thousands on it. I'd much rather spend money on a fantastic honeymoon. I love my ring but if I lose it, I will miss it because it meant something to me, but at least won't be pulling my hair out because I lost a small fortune. Our wedding rings cost 100 eur (130 USD) in total. So Ladies, what is this obsession about expensive rings? From what I understand, lots of men feel kinda pressurized into getting a very expensive ring for fear of appearing as a cheapo or not manly enough. Some people gave me the argument of heirloom, but how can you be guaranteed that the next generation will want to wear your ring? Maybe I'm just being boringly practical but I honestly don't see the attraction.

xStaciexLynnx 15

I agree. My boyfriend and I just had this discussion. He's not in a place in life where he can spend thousands of dollars on a ring but that doesn't mean he doesn't love me as much or doesn't want to be with me for life. We talked about using the traditional Irish claddagh ring as an engagement ring and some of those only cost $50. That would be fine by me and I think really unique and special because his Irish heritage is important to him. :-)

my now fiance wanted to spwnd $1000aud on mine and me and his friends yelled (not seriously) at him cause its ridiculous to spend that. I ended uo picking a bunch of rings which he chose from. mine cost about $300 aud. and our wedding bands will be $500aud each. not as cheap as yours but a price im happy with. I couldn't spend $50 on a ring because I want to wear it the rest of my life without the fear of it breaking. im glad you found one that cheap you like

monnanon 13

i agree with you. my wedding ring cost £150. it is a titanium band with a adonised purple band in rhe middle. its beautifull and because of the metal it is made of i cant tarnish it or damge it (im a klutz so this is a big deal) my engagement ring cost about the same but agaisnt my wishes. i thought it was far too much money.

I agree, I'd rather have a wonderful honeymoon or pay off bills. I'd rather not start our lives together in debt. I'd be happy with cubic zirconia. Most people wouldn't know the difference.

I bought my wife an expensive engagement ring because when other men look at her, I didn't want there to be any question about her being married. I wanted a nice, flashy, sparkling wedding set so any other man interested would know she's spoken for. THAT'S why I spent three months pay on it and would gladly do it again...which I am.

OP, you don't need to buy an expensive ring for people to know that she is married. This FML is the proof that a cheap ring can fool anyone, considering it fooled you, the buyer of the original. When you say "I wanted other men to know she is spoken for", it sounds like you consider your wife as your property and you're using that ring as a penis substitute :). You're kidding yourself if you think that an engagement ring is going to keep a woman from being hit on. Also it's not a ring that would prevent your wife from welcoming advances if she wanted to. Unless you got the One Ring that will rule them all... lol

I don't view my wife as property. I view her as the best thing that has ever happened to me, the love of my life, my best friend, my protector, my back-up, my best friend, the giver of the greatest gift anyone could ever give: my daughter, and at times, I view my wife as the biggest pain in my ass. Because of all this, I felt that she deserved the best I could give. so, I gave it to her.

Well OP, as long as you’re happy. I’m pretty sure though that the best you can offer your wife is you being a good and supportive husband. I assume also that if you had to put monthly payments on your credit card, you don’t roll in money. So fair play for taking responsibility of what you thought was your mistake, but sometimes you gotta sort out the priorities. But that’s just me, as I said earlier, jewelry leaves me perfectly indifferent and I’d go ballistic if I found out my fiancé spent a fortune of a tiny piece of metal. For me there are more important things to spend money on: travels, a house, the kids, bills in general… I think it’s probably cultural. When I was living in the US, I found that lots of American were associating the best you can get / offer to the most expensive you can get / offer. It’s a lot like that in Ireland too, where I now live. I think people put themselves nowadays under way too much pressure when it comes to the marriage industry. At the end of the day, doesn't the fact that you got to marry the person you love matter more than all the trinkets you could or couldn't afford?

You're not the only one. My boyfriend mentioned recently that he's just waiting to save up enough money and to find the right ring. I told him I didn't even need a ring. I'm not a fan of wearing them--I'm super clumsy and I've hurt myself before smacking my hand while wearing a ring. He insists on getting a ring though, so I told him to keep it inexpensive. Spending thousands of dollars on a ring is inconceivable in my mind.

This made me wonder why op was in possession of his wife's ring. I tried to think of a scenario that would make sense but couldn't come up with anything.

when my wife was pregnant, she had pre-eclampsia and her rings didn't fit anymore. she had to take them off and it devastated her. so, I took them, without her knowing, to have them sized so they would fit her again.

It's easy to lose jewelry. It was sweet of you to buy her a new one, although I'm sure you're kicking yourself for not just admitting you lost it. This is why I'm all for a cubic zirconia ring.

Honesty and communication and the whole situation could have been avoided