Lookalikes

By RonnieG - 22/07/2013 22:30 - United States - Orlando

Today, I confessed to losing my wife's engagement ring, and replacing it with a lookalike months ago. My wife also confessed that her actual engagement ring was locked in the safe, and the one I lost had been a fake. I've been paying the replacement off on my credit card for 6 months. FML
I agree, your life sucks 46 121
You deserved it 14 129

Same thing different taste

Top comments

crazytwinsmom 25

They say good communication is key in a marriage.

Comments

Moral of this story: Honesty is cheaper!

Should have been honest in the first place.

Well in the future you don't lose your actual wedding ring...

This is why communication is key! To avoid situations like this haha sorry it had to happen to you op

You sound like a very sweet husband! I hope you get to change it to something else. Diamond studs, maybe? =)

Evil_Wench 16

I don't understand how this can have happened... Surely the point of her locking the real one away was so that it wouldn't get lost/damaged through wearing it all the time... BUT, if she was wearing practically all the time, how could her husband have gotten hold of it for long enough to lose it, let alone go out and buy a replacement as well?

as I explained in a previous comment. she had pre-eclampsia when she was pregnant and her rings didn't fit. she had to take them off and I took them to have them sized to fit her better.

Haven't you ever read the story about the lost borrowed necklace, which turned out to be paste?

How did you loose it? Why were you handing it long enough to loose it, your wife sounds very clever, you not so much

if I knew HOW I lost it, sir, I would have had much more success finding it. and, I may not be clever, but at least I know the difference between "loose" and "lose".

This doesn't even make sense. He was asking why the ring was off your wife's finger and in your possession in the first place. Surely you know at least that much?

Wow! What ever happened to communication?! YDI. You both do.

apple_otaku92 1

I really have to ask this: have you ever read or heard of a short story called "The Necklace" by Guy de Maupassant? It is about a poor husband and wife that borrow a supposedly really expensive necklace from one of their rich friends, but then lose it. They spend their whole life savings to replace the necklace with a replica without telling their rich friend what happened, but spend the rest of their young years slaving away trying to pay off their debt and payments for the replacement necklace. Years later, when the necklace was all paid off, the poor wife finally confesses to their rich friend the truth behind the original necklace. The rich friend laughs and admits that the necklace that she let them borrow was actually a fake too, and was not really worth anything at all to begin with, thus making all of that work and those payments for nothing. This situation that you were in with your wife's ring sounds almost identical to what happened in this story. Its a funny coincidence how sometimes reality can mimic fiction.

The Pearl has a similar story, sacrifice for a worthless item.