Jealousy

By JLD - 11/10/2010 04:34 - United States

Today, I came home from a four-day trip. Apparently, my cat thought I was gone for good and is now very unhappy that I'm home. I know this because she's been positioning herself between me and my husband all night, and hisses every time I try to touch him. He thinks it's hilarious. FML
I agree, your life sucks 34 333
You deserved it 5 150

Same thing different taste

Top comments

H8rSk8r 0

That's a pretty sour pussy if you ask me!

FFML_314 11

That's because your husband bad talks you to the cat while you're gone. They're plotting. Be careful. WEAR SOCKS!

Comments

I don't know if anyone already said this, but I hope you, OP, realize that cats don't really "think," as most animals don't. They act on instinct and what is comfortable. While you were gone, your husband and your cat must have gotten attached, or at least the cat to your husband. Now, your cat is protective of your husband as he provides a comfortable environment for her. Since you were gone, you must be an unfamiliar scent to the cat because you haven't been around to leave it everywhere. A cat only recognizes people by their scent, like most animals. And they have a very short memory length. So if you're not around regularly, or you haven't been around something that is around them regularly so you leave your scent on it, then the cat will forget you and consider you a threat until it gets used to you.

I'm not sure about that, I've been on trips for weeks and my cat always recognises me when I come back...

Well, if you left your scent around, then maybe it recognized you. I'm guessing OP's husband cleaned, so her scent was scarce. I'm not sure about that, but I know that the OP's cat is acting the way she is most likely because she doesn't recognize her.

my mum cleans the house every week, i was gone for 3 she would have washed all traces of me away

Maybe you're right about the whole scent recognition thing, but the leaving your scent around part is making less sense to me. My families' pets always remember my husband and I as people they like, even though we don't visit often enough to leave our scent around. Maybe OP's cat has a memory problem. =

@73 That's possible. Or it could just be that the cat got attached to the husband and now protects him from anything, including people the cat knows.

67- She wouldn't have been able to get everything. There's always something you touched (a couch being a good example) that would leave your scent, unless she dry cleaned the couch as well.

so you're suggesting OPs husband dry cleaned all the couches etc? since the argument is that the cat forgot her scent

No. My point was that even though the husband (or your mom) may have cleaned, he/she wouldn't have been able to clean everything at once in the time you (or OP) was gone. I doubt either one of them dry cleaned the couch or anything, they may have just tidied the clutter. The cat wouldn't have forgotten her scent from the cleaning, unless literally everything in the house (doorknobs, clothing, linens, floors, furniture, etc) was cleaned. Wherever you touch, your scent lingers. I wasn't suggesting the husband dry cleaned everything; I was suggesting that he more than likely wouldn't have, therefore the woman's scent was still in the house. It's just not possible to clean literally everything in the house. I don't think the cat forgot the woman's scent at all, rather, I think it may have felt abandoned by her. It's possible the girl was the original owner of the cat, and if she was gone that long, it's also possible it felt abandoned. The husband was there to take care of it, so the cat became attached to him.

Your use of that word-- I do not think it means what you think it means.

Your use of that word-- I do not think it means what you think it means.

FFFUUUU-- those were supposed to be in response to #13.

TheSofaKing 7

Good kitty. Sound like your hubby found some new pussy.

KattAlex 4

#68, How do you think I felt when he told me. Never looked at him the same again but the cat stopped prison raping our other pets.

i actually find this really adorable...

DakotaCat 4

I think it's hilarious.. Because I am aformentioned cat :3

looks like you now have some competition ;)