J'accuse !

By Anonymous - 10/08/2010 21:34 - United States

Today, I was shopping at a store from which I had previously bought a shirt. The clerk accused me of trying to steal my own shirt and called security. They examined it and argued with me for so long I was late to work. FML
I agree, your life sucks 34 174
You deserved it 2 995

Same thing different taste

Top comments

FFML_314 11

Did the place you went to not have security cameras? Most retail stores do. If so, why didn't they just review the tapes? I remember when a store thought I stole a purse from them, I simply told them I paid for it, gave them all of my information and walked out. I'm not going to sit around and be accused of something I didn't do. They are rent-a-cops not actual police officers. They can't legally detain you, unless they have a valid reason. Since they didn't see you shoplift or had someone else tell them you shoplifted, they had no reason.

killabee 0

I always worry this will happen to me, because it's not like you carry every receipt you ever get on your person. But good job on keeping your clothes looking brand new I guess. :)

Comments

I wonder what they'd do if they thought you stole underwear?

I would have examined it very carefully haha.

If you're from NY like your tag says you are then this is definitely illegal. They can't pull you aside or accuse you of anything unless they saw you steal it/conceal it, which obviously they didn't. YDI for being late to work though, you should have just left and gone to work.

Lol.. That's funny! I can't come up with a comment.. Lol

sallen0046 4

It's called a receipt. They give them to you for purposes exactly like this. Why would you wear something you've bought in the same store recently enough for them to still be selling that exact item and not expect someone to question you walking out in it? The fact that you were late to work is also your own fault. They cannot physically restrain you, or keep you against your will. All you had to do was walk out. You don't keep your receipts, and you don't know your rights. It's not an fml, it's ignorance and a lack of common sense.

Why would she bring the receipt if she wasn't planning on returning the shirt? I don't know about you, but I don't carry around my receipts from previous shopping trips weeks later.. or even days later.

tooGee24 0

#24 total fail. I didn't know if u buy a shirt frm a store than u can't wear it in that same store. && If u do u need to take the receipt. that's so stupid. I never evn keep them

24, I thought the purpose of a receipt is to return the item.

Besides, who keeps their receipts with them all the time? let me guess, you? I know I don't and I walk in the same store were i bought my jeans and jacket from with no problem at all. just have to know your rights, and should've mentioned the security camera's. that could have saved you from being late on work. but hey, shit happends.

Guess if you get clothes as a gift and someone forgets a gift receipt, you're screwed, eh? No more wearing second-hand or borrowed clothes, either. And don't even think about buying brands that are carried in more than one store— if Macy's security can't decipher a TJ Maxx receipt, you're SOL. The end of your post makes sense, but the receipt thing is just silly. The burden of proof is on the STORE'S SECURITY, not you.

sallen0046 4

Why do you think stores give you receipts for everything? It's not so you can have something to throw out later. It's to show what you purchased. If you're wearing an item that is popular and sold only at that store, why wouldn't you expect that someone who didn't witness you enter the building wearing it could think you were stealing it? I have a jacked purchased from a store I frequent regularly. It's the only place I've ever seen carry it, and have been stopped at the door every single time I've worn it into that store. Sometimes I stop and show them my receipt, sometimes I just continue on my way.

joshrmcguffey 0

law suit. the store didn't follow their steps to verify a theft. tell me the store and I'll tell you how what they have to do before they can question you legally.

Ydi for not mentioning the video cameras. :)

that's soooo dumb!!!! lol FYL for their stupidity, why wouldn't they check security tapes???!!!!

awesomesauce8 0
lifegrdlover 0

that happened to me! I just threatened to sue for illegal detainment when they realized they were wrong and got my purchases for free :) bitchy move? probably...worth it? yessss