Insurance is a racket

By Chriso - 17/11/2009 11:48 - Australia

Today, I was finally discharged from hospital after being in there for one month, I arrive home to find a letter from a debt collection agency for my unpaid car insurance premium, and another letter from my car insurer to say that they aren't covering my accident due to non payment of premium. FML
I agree, your life sucks 30 421
You deserved it 3 957

Same thing different taste

Top comments

This means you were behind in paying your car insurance BEFORE the accident even happened. Expensive mistake.

perdix 29

Don't expect any sympathy from us Americans. You are screwed just out the cost of a car. Had your accident occurred here, you would have racked up about $500,000 in medical bills and your private health insurance (our only option) would have been cancelled. And you'd be screwed out of the cost of a car, too.

Comments

Don_fml 0

Oh yeah! Forgot one thing: Insurance companies don't use collection agencies. They just cancel your policy.

YDI. Pay your bills a little more timely. I'm surprised Darwinian principles haven't kicked in yet.

I think the fml is that someone else wrecked the OP's car while he was in the hospital.

#32, exactly what I was thinking. Insurance companies will cancel your policy if you do not pay, they do not commonly send you to collection agencies because the majority of these companies charge you for the month of service (or 6 months of service, what ever) in advance. That on top of the fact that even if they did use a collection agency for some reason it would have needed to be behind by more than one month to get turned over to one make this BS. I don't know about everyone else but my car insurance is due on the same day of each month. Even if I was in the hospital I would still be aware that the 28th of the month was coming up, knowing this I would call them to work something out. Had you made any effort to contact them in advance they would have worked with you. Pay your bills and stop complaining and take some responsibility for your own actions.

Who wants to bet that the OP caused the accident that put them in the hospital as well? Consider this, commonly an accident that puts someone in a hospital requires more than one car (unless you are really bad at driving and hit a pole or other inanimate object). Had they not been at fault the other driver's insurance would be covering the damage to their car as well as their hospital bills anyhow. I bet they are mad because they didn't pay their insurance, caused an accident and now their insurance company told them that they are not going to pay for the damage to their car or cover the other person since they were not keeping up on their bill.

You mean "the hospital." You were discharged from "the hospital." You sound ignorant as **** when you leave out a simple article of the preposition. Another case is when the damn English talk about "University."

and you sound ignorant as **** judging the grammatical structure of other countries. get over yourself