Chancer

By annoyed - 24/09/2017 01:30

Today, I received an email from my insurance company about a claim that happened over a month ago when I hit someone from behind. I was very apologetic and stated it was my fault, and now they're trying to claim replacement vehicle costs. I was going under 10mph and their car only had a scratch. FML
I agree, your life sucks 3 711
You deserved it 489

Same thing different taste

Top comments

ohsnapword 21

This is what insurance is for. Let them fight it out.

If their car was totaled, there should be a police report. Claiming for a car accident a month down the line is something your insurance company needs to deal with, as insurance companies need to be called right away. Prove you were somewhere else during the time they stated their car was 'totaled' as they do need to give a date and time. If they state the original date of the accident, your insurance company needs to again, deal with it as it was not reported in a timely manner.

Comments

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway
ohsnapword 21

This is what insurance is for. Let them fight it out.

First half of comment: good advice; second half: not so good (not everyone's as smart as you. :-)

Some states, even if it isn't your fault, if you're behind the vehicle and they back up into you, the one behind still gets blamed. Get dash cams people! It's probably the only way to exonerate yourself. No shame either in calling the police after an accident. The police report protects your butt from even fender benders.

So, purely theoretically, I could go to those states and play 'reversing only' bumper cars?

If their car was totaled, there should be a police report. Claiming for a car accident a month down the line is something your insurance company needs to deal with, as insurance companies need to be called right away. Prove you were somewhere else during the time they stated their car was 'totaled' as they do need to give a date and time. If they state the original date of the accident, your insurance company needs to again, deal with it as it was not reported in a timely manner.

samomaha 17

Give your insurance company any info you can, anything at all. What the other people are doing is called insurance fraud. They will be in a heap o' trouble.

Lobby_Bee 17

Just show your insurance company a photo of your car and it should do. They'll have a hard time explaining how your car managed to totaled theirs with just a scratch on your bumper.

this is why you always take pictures of the damage when you exchange information so they can't claim that it's worse than it was

marina1996 5

I mean, modern cars have tons of sensors in every part of the car. i knicked someones back bumper so soft it didnt even dent when i was younger. 800 bucks later they got their bumper replaced. its not unommon, my only advice is to never admit it was your fault. let insurance decide that

But their car was obviously so emotionally damaged....

Don't worry the insurance computer won't allow that.