I wanna be oppressed so bad

By Anonymous - 14/10/2021 02:00

Today, I found my 30 year-old sister-in-law's TikTok. All she posts on it is indigenous issues and goes on rants about how hard life is for her and her ancestors. She's white, but claims to be Blackfoot and "white passing." FML
I agree, your life sucks 1 013
You deserved it 107

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Nikki 16

You’d assume OP knew their in-laws heritage and know that she isn’t indigenous

I'm sure pretty soon she'll have the bad taste to put black shoe polish on her feet and she'll be summarily "canceled!"

Comments

You are aware that there’s natives that have white skin right?....

Nikki 16

You’d assume OP knew their in-laws heritage and know that she isn’t indigenous

I'm sure pretty soon she'll have the bad taste to put black shoe polish on her feet and she'll be summarily "canceled!"

In my father’s family there were claims that my great grandfather was at least part Blackfoot indigenous American. But when Ancestry DNA testing came along, it turned out that my father’s ancestry was almost entirely European (mostly originally from the UK) with no noticeable contribution from native Americans. Hence it seems those family stories were likely just not true. Before DNA testing some families had “colorful” family history stories that were difficult to prove or disprove. DNA testing has changed that - As long as people are willing to do that. I don’t judge people who either out of erroneous family stories, or a desire to be “unique” appropriate the identity and culture of even unrelated peoples. If they knowing lie, that is one thing - But it’s not always a lie. As George Constanza said “It’s not really a lie if you believe it.” I consider it sad that a person would reject their actual family history and appropriate a different culture, but it doesn’t really hurt anyone.

Just because it didn’t contribute to a person’s genetic make up doesn’t mean that it’s not part of their ancestry. I’ve heard stories of siblings getting wildly different results. It’s just all depends on what genes won the lottery for a specific person.

I agree that some genetic traits sometimes don’t get passed down. And frankly, sometimes the husband is not the biological father of one or more of the children. That is one way that genetic history gets “interesting”. I do not see any harm in incorporating characteristics that you admire from other cultures if you are, or are not, genetically related. “Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.” Generally most cultures do that - They incorporate traits they admire or find helpful. Frankly I think people who whine and complain about “cultural appropriation” are idiots. We live in a multicultural world and country. The wise will adopt traits that they admire and are advantageous to them. No culture has an exclusive “patent” on anything. What I do think is sad is if a person of any culture or race is ashamed of their culture and assumes a different identity just for that reason. I won’t say that might not be appropriate, just that it is a symptom of something painful.

I'm native and white as a frigging ghost cuz I'm native and Irish so the irish is where the really pale skin comes from BUT the colour of our skin doesnt decide our heritage. Obviously u kno absolutely nothing on this subject and should probably refrain from acting like u do....it makes u look bad not her. It's hard enough to stand up for urself and ur culture and it's even harder when people judge u cuz u dont look the part but who r u to say based on her skin tone she is not?