Handy

By screwed - This FML is from back in 2009 but it's good stuff - United States

Today, I was teaching a woodshop class. We were using power tools, including drills, and pieces of pine wood. While helping a kid to hold a piece to practice drilling, he went too far forward with the drill. It went through my hand. FML
I agree, your life sucks 53 219
You deserved it 12 211

Same thing different taste

Top comments

I guess wood and penetration aren't always a good thing.

u know, there are safety rules to avoid such things, haven't u learnt from ned's declassified school survival guide lol

Comments

sorry but you fail at teaching wood shop YDI for setting a really bad example for your students I guess at least they'll know how NOT to hold a board that's being drilled into now...

that sucks lol,, we have to do this weird thing to make holes in paper that are the right size by using this pencil shaped peice of metal and hitting it with a hammer,, the teacher normally holds it,, 90% of the time.. i miss :P

Man, this made me cringe like crazy. gah, I would've passed the **** out if that happened to me.

Not a good teacher. You put yourself in a dangerous position. You know who's to blame. BTW: Re: "We were using power tools, including drills, and pieces of pine wood." Pine wood is NOT a power tool. Not a good teacher at all... tsk, tsk.

ThtrEvie 0

He never said that pine wood was a power tool. Basic reading comprehension will tell you that what is set inside the commas is a separate idea, therefore, it is to be read as "We were using power tools and pieces of pine wood." The including is inside the quotes and only referencing the drills, not the pieces of wood. Calling them a bad teacher on misreading the statement is completely unfounded.

Anyone saying "YDI" is obviously a complete moron looking for a reason to be a dissenting asshole. Seriously, EVERYONE makes mistakes, just because he was a teacher and "should've known better" doesn't mean he DESERVED it! If you've never made a stupid mistake in your life, feel free to continue saying this poor guy "deserved" it, but otherwise, please just stfu and quit trying to look cool by pointing out why FMLs posted on this site are the OP's fault and how they "deserved" it. God. Damn.

No, this goes far beyond a mistake. This is idiocy on a level that's physically endangering, both to himself and to his students.

Lukcia 5

Just to let you know, you cannot possibly hold your hand under a piece of wood while someone drills it unless you properly stick it under on purpose hoping to get drilled. Plus, how did you type? Fake.

i took a woodshop class similar to this, and something like that could easily have happened. But why can't the kid hold the wood himself? if they're too young to hold it in place, then they're too young to use the machine.