Grinding

By takingthebus - 16/09/2009 06:12 - United States

Today, my boyfriend got pulled over and arrested for driving with a suspended license. Instead of getting my car impounded, his friend thought he'd do me a favor and drive it back to me. He doesn't know how to drive stick and blew my engine. My boyfriend is in jail and I no longer have a car. FML
I agree, your life sucks 42 264
You deserved it 6 542

Same thing different taste

Top comments

fleshforbones 0

Looks like someone needs a new car AND a new boyfriend.

Why did you let him drive your car without a license?

Comments

fleshforbones 0

Looks like someone needs a new car AND a new boyfriend.

The boyfriend was just trying to help her out.. But I bet SHE knows how to drive stick. ;D

YDI for letting him drive knowing that he has a suspended liscense.

people need to learn how to drive stick. and people need to stop pulling up inches from someones bumper on a hill because they might be driving stick which means they might roll back and you might need to buy someone a new bumper!

Why did you let him drive your car without a license?

More to the point, why'd she let him drive her car at all? YDI.

plutosaplanet 0

i was driving down the road one day and got pulled over for speeding. my car got impounded and i got a notice to appear bc my license was apparently suspended. apprently even if 2 of your 3 tickets are nollied you still have to attend a driver retraining course. the dmv decided not to inform me of having to attend a course or that my license had been suspended for at least 6 months. i had driven other peoples cars and had no idea i wasnt sposed to drive at all. my boyfriend drives my car if he needs to or i need him to. it never says the boyfriend knew it was suspended. the only stupid thing in this fml is that his friend tried to drive stick when he didnt know how.

My brother got his license suspended and he didn't even know it. He learned the hard way too. Apparently the previous ticket never got paid for even though the check got cashed and everything.

My boyfriend drives my car all the time and we never have a problem with it, but I do agree since he had a suspended license it was stupid of her.

Have you guys thought that maybe she didn't know? Or maybe that neither of them knew?

yeah and she's gonna need a new bf cuz he's probably gonna bend down for soap while he's in jail and he might enjoy it... if ya know what I mean ;)

cadillacgal79 32

87-stop trying, he probably didn't know his license was suspended.

I'm sure you need a seperate licence to drive manual, or you do in England anyway. YDI.

And here in Brazil you can only get a license being able to drive a manual. Thank god And well, at least the OP can joke about this guy for the rest of his life. Well, he deserves it. How the hell do you blow an engine? I couldn't do it even if I really wanted to.

A separate license to drive a manual transmission car? Really? Why the hell is that?

Because automatics are not cars, they're big go-karts

The OP is neither European nor South American though. In the U.S., a regular Class C license qualifies you to operate automobiles with manual or automatic transmissions unless you have some sort of special restriction.

I wouldn't waste my time or effort with a manual transmission. Sure, I can drive one, but living where I do there's no point to my owning one.

Automatics are to cars what McDonalds is to cuisine.

In Canada it's not required to have a different license but it's just something everyone should have to do. It's not really that complicated to drive stick anyway

best way to prevent someone stealing a car in the u.s.? drive stick

not in the states. are you sure its your engine? probably just your clutch unless he was a jackass and ran it in the redline then it would be blown.

really? you mean that if you've learnt to drive in an automatic, you don't need a seperate test to drive a manual? Because thats pretty stupid.

AndelleRae 9

Well, who says everyone learns on an automatic? Some people could learn on a manual, if that's all they have. Bottom line, just because things are done differently in different countries doesn't make one any more stupid than the other. OP, sucks about your car, and your boyfriend.

Well this fml would suggest differently, clearly. The bottom line, actually, is that learning in an automatic car does not mean you can drive a manual, as its harder, and takes much more time to learn and pass a test in one. Therefore, if this is how its really done in America, then it IS stupid!

Except most people are smart enough to realize that they shouldn't try to drive standard when they don't know how. The guy was an idiot for thinking he could do it to begin with.

you think the guy was and idiot for thinking he could drive it when we couldn't? He blew up the motor in car (I am assuming by not shifting gears). You don't have to know how to drive a manual drive to know that a car in the red line for long enough to blow the motor just doesn't sound or feel right. Also, working a clutch and shifter is not like learning how to do non-linear equations in your head or operating a jet liner. I agree the friend is an idiot, a ******* idiot in fact, but we can justify him as an idiot on much better grounds then he shouldn't have tried to drive a manual when he didn't know how... shit, thousands of ppl learn to drive manuals when they don't know how each year without blowing shit up.

A man who can't drive stick isn't really a man. Tell him to hand in his dude-licence.

elara15 0

Actually, I drive a manual because it's my grandfather's old car, and all my male friends are amazed since they can't drive it. It's a skill not a lot of people try to develop these days.

jonsonvillebrat 0

It's not a skill. Its common sense.

Your insurance should cover this. As for your boyfriend, sucks for him.

No. Unless the car was insured under the friend, which it probably isn't, insurance won't pay a cent.

Boo hoo. Don't lend your shit to people who shouldn't have it

My grandpa said there are two things you should never lend out: your car or your wife. Neither will come back the same.

YDI. They don't impound car for these type of situation, they deduct the point of the car's registered owner. It's your fault for letting someone without a proper license drive your car.

@12, actually yes they do. In some states cops can tow and impound a vehicle if the driver has a suspended license, regardless of whether it's his car. Otherwise, two people could just drive each other's cars and never worry about it. On the other hand, yeah... don't let someone with a suspended license anywhere near your car keys.

America.... What sort a of a man can't drive a manual? you should all learn how to, agree with the person who said you should need a seperate license. But TBH, you can't change gear if you have a hamburger in your spare hand.

I agree completely. Being able to drive a manual transmission is a must for a man. Nice obesity joke, ya crooked toothed Mary Poppins. /Mmm... Hamburgers.

Who cares? Some people will never drive a stick in their life but I doesn't really matter. Maybe 20 years ago it was a masculinity thing, but no one really cares now.

Please stay in the far right lane then please. that's the slow one.

Lol, men thinking they are worth more because they can drive stick. such stupidity is tied to ego these days. Ooh, you can drive a car - join the club. Anyone born before the 2000s probably has driven a stick before. it is not hard, nor is it an accomplishment.