Geography for Dummies

By SMRT - 22/10/2019 06:00 - United States - Chattanooga

Today, I had an argument with my dad about Venice being in Italy, not Spain. He wouldn't believe me, and had to Google it. He's an engineer for an aerospace company. FML
I agree, your life sucks 1 555
You deserved it 176

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Mathalamus 24

Just because someone is an expert at one thing, it didn't mean they would know anything else.

So your father is an Aerospace Engineer not a Geography Professor? Then what's the problem? If he didnt' know how an airplane flew that would be concerning. Messing up where Venice is well big whoop that's not his field of study.

Comments

So your father is an Aerospace Engineer not a Geography Professor? Then what's the problem? If he didnt' know how an airplane flew that would be concerning. Messing up where Venice is well big whoop that's not his field of study.

Actually that’s really basic knowledge which someone who has a certain level of education should be aware of. OP is totally right in being shocked by this.

It might be basic for you, but it's still a field completely unrelated to his specialty. Can you tell me what country Monaco is in without looking it up? What about Lagos? If information isn't something that you can use or have an interest in, you won't remember it.

Mathalamus 24

Monaco is a country in itself. It's not part of any other country.

It is. That doesn't make my question invalid, the answer would be Monaco. The point of the question is to make nemcali question whether or not knowing geography is important.

It's basic knowledge if you live in Venice or near Venice. Otherwise it's knowledge that may or may not be important to you. To a football fan there are bits of knowledge they consider "basic knowledge" that if someone professes to love the sport and didn't know would seem like "wtf" Spain and Italy are neighbors if someone told me "Venice is in Spain" until I thought harder about it I'd probably be nodding along. Not all knowledge can be basic knowledge. We learn a lot of information in our lives and judging other people as morons for not remembering the exact details of every single piece of info is stupid in and of itself. Like I said it's not related to his field and he has no other reason to remember specifically where Venice is.

julfunky 29

Why so this being downvoted so much? Apparently a good chunk of people don’t like the idea that he isn’t aware of the geography of the entire world.

I'll bet he works at Boeing on the team that designed the auto-crash feature on the 737MAX.

Mathalamus 24

Just because someone is an expert at one thing, it didn't mean they would know anything else.

People can be geniuses in one subject and completely stupid in another.

Empuriabrava is often called the Venice of Spain. Maybe that’s what your dad meant.

Two completely different areas of expertise

He isn’t a cartographer... what’s the problem? It’s not like he argued a whale can fly. You won and he learned something

bobsanction 18

Good thing engineering doesn't require geography.

From my side of the world there both wrong Venice is in Louisiana.