By dating a fucking idiot - 08/09/2012 19:16 - United States

Today, my father bet me $200 that since my boyfriend is "such a stupid shit," he wouldn't be able to locate Paraguay on a map. I gladly accepted the bet. Not only did he not know where it is, he actually accused us of making the country up. FML
I agree, your life sucks 24 892
You deserved it 13 901

Same thing different taste

Top comments

6 some people don't know where it is, doesn't mean you have to call them idiots. It's not like you were born and you already knew the whole map

Psych101 9

I'm pretty sure anyone with a decent education knows where it is. At the very least they should know that it exists.

Comments

Goumbush 4

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway
dominic1221 6

Wow, I hope that was sarcasm or we'll have two stupid ***** in this picture.

Psych101 9

I'm pretty sure anyone with a decent education knows where it is. At the very least they should know that it exists.

6 some people don't know where it is, doesn't mean you have to call them idiots. It's not like you were born and you already knew the whole map

xXHollowIchigoXx 17

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway
morganrules123 10

its a pretty huge country, pretty odd that he doesn't even know it exists.

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway
xXHollowIchigoXx 17

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

It's in South America for those people who don't know. I know this because I'm from south America.

Psych101 9

27- I am from the United States. I'm fairly young, and I would have been able to tell you for years that Paraguay is a country and where it is. I think many Americans can tell you where Paraguay is, or at least that it exists.

dominic1221 6

33- Thanks for being sane. I really wouldn't be shocked if half the people defending OP's boyfriend are just doing it because they couldn't find the place on a map either, and they KNOW it's not normal or okay to be that ignorant.

In my experiences most Americans don't even know where Alberta is and we are next door.

I'm proud to say I know where every single country is. At my old school the freshmen in world history had to memorize and be able to free-hand a map of the whole world. It was the final. Hard to do but definitely worth it.

Not everyone is from the same country as you. The contingent to the south of me is probably south America. And I know Paraguay is not there.

xXHollowIchigoXx 17

#35 I don't see why you have to call us ignorant, because we don't know (Or didn't know until now) where Paraguay is. There's a lot of psychological and physiological things that I know that not many people know of. Do I call them ignorant jackasses who know nothing of the world? No. I explain to them that some knowledge requires ACTUAL interest. It is not of my interest of the world countries. But if you want to play that game, please tell me tell me the name of the specific area of the brain that controls eye movements, or the area that controls basic hand movements without using the Internet.

xXHollowIchigoXx 17

#41 I'm 15 and I study very thoroughly in psychology. I am not a psychologist by title, but of definition : an expert in psychology. So yes. I am 15 and a psychologist.

dominic1221 6

47- Yeah, Paraguay IS in South America. 49- Difference is that psychology as such isn't taught in most schools. Geography is, and if you're in the USA, it's RELEVANT geography. Oh, and you're not an expert in psychology. Give it a rest.

Woops. I meant the continent to the south of me is not south america - so its not to the south of me

47- why don't you stop making assumptions. You are clearly wrong! Look at the map and you will definitely see that Paraguay is in South America. Doesn't take a genius to look it up to be sure.

27 Please, please tell me more about the US as you know enough to stereotype the whole country.

49, the occipital lobe controls eye movements. The left hemisphere of the brain (specifically the "motor strip") controls voluntary hand movements. Both are located in the cerebrum. You aren't the only person on here who knows a thing or two about anatomy.

Honestly, it's not that bad to not know where Paraguay is. I've had a pretty decent education, and am by no means stupid. A little iffy on geography maybe, but not stupid. Geography just isn't taught where I live. Doesn't mean we're idiots.

The average American would know that Paraguay is in fact a REAL country. Your argument is invalid.

xXHollowIchigoXx 17

#64 it took 20 minutes for someone to actually answer my question. And I honestly don't want to give off the wrong impression that I'm an ass or anything, but it was meant for Dominic who felt the need to call me (and everyone else who doesn't/didn't know of Paraguay) ignorant.

Its understandable not knowing which where it is exactly, imo, as long as you know that it exists and what continent it is on.

xXHollowIchigoXx 17

#76 search up the definition of "Psychologist" and copy and past it here.

#68 did you think that it might have taken 20 min for someone to answer your question not because they were thinking for so long but because not everyone is on fml every second of everyday & they saw you question 20 min after you posted it ??

xXHollowIchigoXx 17

Definition psychologist. TAKEN STRAIGHT OFF THE INTERNET. You can get these results from Google, input "Definition of Psychologist". The very first thing that pops up. psy·chol·o·gist /sīˈkäləjist/ Noun An expert or specialist in psychology. I am no SPECIALIST in psychology, but I am an EXPERT. Now please don't tell me I have to explain the definition of expert to you.

fallingstarsxox 8

Idk why everyone is judging I'm 16 and so far in school the only history I learned of was the u.s and ancient history in Africa, china and europe We didn't really need to learn all these countries and where there located at least in my school we didn't

fallingstarsxox 8

And for geography we only needed to know the continents

xXHollowIchigoXx 17

#85 I'll go get my dictionary…

To be an expert on something, you need to have comprehensive and authoritative knowledge on the subject. You're 15. You don't have authoritative knowledge on anything.

theslimshadylp 6

Hahaha to be even considered an expert on something you have to have experience and studied it for ten tears. You are hardly an expert, but more like an amateur.

19 - I'm driving that bandwagon. You're welcome aboard any time.

Paraguay. Spanish sounding, therefore it's South America since it's not Spain or Portugal. Wee, those five years of mandatory Spanish are really paying off.

Psych101 9

87- While you're at it, go look up the definition of expert.

eoko 12

You're a student of psychology would be a better way to explain it.

#87 So you're a 15 year-old Psychology expert just because you are studying it? I'm wondering how you can actually believe that. By your logic, whatever you study would make you an expert, which would make me an expert in animation or an media communications expert with your "logic". Do you know how stupid it sounds? You don't just become an expert for studying something.

xXHollowIchigoXx 17

I just stopped. It's taken me nowhere.

I don't get why everyone is being rude, not everyone knows every country in the world. Every time I tell people where I'm from and my nationality they just look at me like "WTF is that?" and I don't blame them.

Psych101 9

121- Out of curiosity, where are you from? And in repines to your statement, Paraguay is a fairly big country in a continent with relatively few countries. It shouldn't be that uncommon to know that it exists. It would be slightly different if the country was Andorra, which is absolutely tiny and is in a continent with many more countries.

Loving the abuse people are getting from not knowing where a particular country is. I had never in my entire life heard of Paraguay and after doing some research I'm actually confused as to why I would ever need to. Why you people all put value on knowing where random countries are in the world amazes me.. I'm Australian and when I was in school I could list off every single country in South East Asia and give you a bunch of facts about a fair number of them. Many years later I can now recall about 3 of them and if I need more information I can look it up in about 10 seconds, begging the question of why the hell did I spend a year learning this stuff? It has given me absolutely no benefit in my life.. in fact during that year many of us made the comment about how pointless it all was only to be told how useful it would be later. Yeah. Or not. Did something happen in Paraguay that is relevant? Was there something special there in history that can teach us, give us valuable insight about how we live our lives today? If not then expecting the average person to know anything about it is idiotic. Nothing wrong with knowing it of course but expecting it to be common knowledge is fairly stupid. If you're going to be a diplomat/work in foreign trade or anything that involves looking at the world on a large scale, sure, it's a good idea to know where most of the countries are in the world. Otherwise there are a hell of a lot more useful things you can learn in life - not knowing where one single country that has no impact on your life is does not make you an idiot. To be honest the fact that your dad decided to quantify intelligence based on the knowing of a single fact pretty much tells me he's an idiot. I bet I could ask him a thousand questions he doesn't know the answer to just because he's never had to know the answer before - all of them with a practical use. Guess that makes him an idiot as well. That said your boyfriend should really have just looked the place up before accusing you of making it up. And you're an idiot for hinging 200 bucks on if someone knows a random fact or not. So basically, you're all idiots really.

Psych101 9
mduffy08 8

110 - Fifteen year old liberal psychologist. That's all that needs to be said.

#33 Despite the wall-to-wall coverage of the damage from Hurricane Katrina, nearly one-third of young Americans recently polled couldn’t locate Louisiana on a map and nearly half were unable to identify Mississippi. Americans between the ages of 18 and 24 fared even worse with foreign locations: six in 10 couldn’t find Iraq, according to a Roper poll conducted for National Geographic. “Geographic illiteracy impacts our economic well-being, our relationships with other nations and the environment, and isolates us from the world,” National Geographic president John Fahey said in announcing a program to help remedy the problem. It’s hoping to enlist businesses, nonprofit groups and educators in a bid to improve geographic literacy They will have their task cut out for them, judging by the results of the survey of 510 people interviewed in December and January. Among the findings: One-third of respondents couldn’t pinpoint Louisiana on a map and 48 percent were unable to locate Mississippi. Fewer than three in 10 think it important to know the locations of countries in the news and just 14 percent believe speaking another language is a necessary skill. Two-thirds didn’t know that the earthquake that killed 70,000 people in October 2005 occurred in Pakistan. Six in 10 could not find Iraq on a map of the Middle East. While the outsourcing of jobs to India has been a major U.S. business story, 47 percent could not find the Indian subcontinent on a map of Asia. While Israeli-Palestinian strife has been in the news for the entire lives of the respondents, 75 percent were unable to locate Israel on a map of the Middle East. Nearly three-quarters incorrectly named English as the most widely spoken native language. Six in 10 did not know the border between North and South Korea is the most heavily fortified in the world. Thirty percent thought the most heavily fortified border was between the United States and Mexico. Hate to break it to ya'll but statistics will back me up every time when it comes to Americans and geography.

some people are dumb not because they dont know where it is, but because some people here feel so superior of themselves. Ive heard of and know where Paraguay is but you dont see me insulting people about how stupid they are. Some people just dont know and its nothing to be ashamed about. Get off your high horse.

mduffy08 8

134 - More like google and picked some random study that backed yourself up.

Here's the difference you learn countries in elementary school and are taught about them throughout life. you learn physiology hopefully in high school or college . A ten year old should have at least heard of Paraguay even if they can't find it on a map ,most normal children haven't of physiology. so you're saying it's okay to know hard things (that I am almost sure you're lying about since my bullshit alarm is ringing . Plus I call your bluff cuz you're so full of bullshit I can fertilize my herb garden) or the basic things that my 9 year old sister who has learning disabilities knows about?

To make clear my comments above: -19 said that Paraguay is in the continent to the south. I am from Australia, therefore the continent to the south of me is not south America it is Antarctica. I got autocorrected and it didn't say what I meant it to. But my point was paraguay is not to the south of everyone because i am pretty sure its not in antarctica.

saransh 3

134- that's like 1 % of statistics to support your argument If i could i would give a half hour presentation and a demo in the end

Being able to find a country on a map is a general knowledge question they didn't ask wat paraguay's national bird is merely to find it on a map that should be middle school education

Wow, this might get many thumbs down, but people need to calm down. Go do something productive, fun or enjoyable instead of complaining about somebody not knowing where a country is located. You have no right to judge somebody and call them a moron because they don't know where Paraguay is located. They might know something you don't and call you an idiot for it. It doesn't feel good. Just stop this sad and useless conversation. It sucks to see people calling others idiots for a stupid reason. Not everyone gets the same education. I know this may sound dumb but you only live once so go do something else with your life instead of creating a huge debate over education. Okay, I'll stop typing now because I know people will bash my opinion.

LiesAndMischief 4

I'm a straight A student, but I suck at geography (I chose not to take it because it's just one of those subjects that I especially don't care for). I've heard of Paraguay, but I'd never be able to tell you where it is. I wasn't even sure which continent it was in. I'm not stupid, I'm just ignorant when it comes to finding places on a map. My point is, yes some people are awful at certain subjects. But to say that ANY American should know something like this seems a tad unfair, if only because it could make them feel dumb when they might very well be capable enough in most other subjects.

146-You're right, I'm not entirely sure where that is. On another note, this is by far the best fml thread I've ever read. OP's name is hilarious. The "I'm a psychologist" kid cracks me up. And the generalization of something that people don't care about as being super important is amazingly funny. If you don't know Paraguay is in South America, then congratulations, you learned something new today. If you did know, congratulations, you taught someone something today.

FirebirdF350 7

I'm sorry, but I agree with the, all the people in the fml situations are stupid, amd as for the 15 year old psychologist, quit bashing him, there is actually a quote stating that if you study one hour per day in your chosen field, in three years you can be an expert, in five a national authority, and in seven a world leader, admittedly I doubt he studied that long, but it is not for you to decide his knowledge, but while we are on the subject, speaking of knowledge you should know, since evidently you all speak english here, heres a question, what is the cause of the popularization of the word 'jumbo'? It was the name of the first elephant in the barnam amd bailey circus, purchased from london, originally from the sudan, but heres another one not related to english, what is the actual length of a day? 23 hrs, 56minutes, 4 seconds, did you know this? Cycle of the moon;27 days, beginning to end, on the 28th it restarts, hence why we get 'blue moons', it rotates at the same rate it revolves, thats why we see the same side at all times, if you knew all this information, congratulations, if not, your not an idiot, but if I wanted to be a dick I could call you one. This is the flaw with general knowledge, it is general, there is too much to process in todays world. So be silent on 'general knowledge' unless you know all of it.

164 - Sorry to do this. It's "you're not an idiot." I did like the random facts though.

As long as you know what country Paraguay is in, you're fine. Geography of the world is hardly useful in life(of course you'll have people who say you should know it just because, which is not a good reason). As long as you know your way around your own state, it's all good. I'm pretty sure no one is going to stop in their future and say "oh man I should have paid attention when I was learning Geography" unless they are on some game show like "are you smarter than a 5th grader" where the history and geography questions are things no one cares about or really needs to know.

Did I say country, I meant continent. Fingers got confused with the mind.

Do you actually think you learned anything signficant in middle school, or anything that you actually cared to remember? Other than progressing your knowledge in math and science. Geography is just one of those subjects that is almost NEVER going to be to be of any use other than maybe bragging to someone that doesn't know their countries and making them feel bad or stupid. Believe it or not, mostly every single person you see or talk to will have some inner life problems. Just focus on what's important, not some random facts about this small world in the universe.

I don't know where it is... but I'm not "stupid". Geography just isn't something I'm great at.

Please do not insult actual students of psychology by calling yourself a psychologist. That's like a man calling himself a marine before he even goes to boot camp. Just because you like it and like to read up on it, does NOT mean you are psychologist.

110- I know a lot about animals. Can I call myself a veterinarian now?

177- It's useful if you're traveling, learning about current world events, studying cultures, or being creative and thinking about ways to improve the environment. Sadly, too many Americans don't do any of those or are just too arrogant to care. Most school's don't require world history or geography, just US history and even with that 1 in every 4 Americans still can't name the country they got their independence from. But I'm sure it's none of you guys because those people are probably too stupid to find the internet. Dear America, Unfortunately, all of that was the sad truth, but I still love you. ~One of your happy inhabitants

SenselessPattern 12

I DIDN'T REACH THE END OF THIS 79+ LONG SHITSTORM THREAD. Not many occasions call for CapsLock rage, but this is one of them. And to the poor mind-raped FMLers that reach this far, turn the hell back. I've gone too far and shall soon be hanging by 40 separate ropes from the top of the empire state building just in case. For the rest, good luck and god speed.

dsbs 9

Ooooh big deal someone doesn't know where Paraguay is. It's not like it matters

#36 Maybe some Americans don't know where Alberta is because Canada sucks and is not important enough to even be recognized. Maybe. Asshat

FirebirdF350 7

172, thank you for the correction, all of those facts were learned in my fifth grade year of school. Amazing all the things in a text book worth 150 dollars that is never utilized in school, much less in life. Completely useless but cool trivial knowledge. I'm more surprised I got thumbed down, I included neat facts and didn't bash anyone. Oh well

I didn't read all of the replies, but... I think the study is kind of BS. Partially because of the small sample size, and partially because by the way you phrased it, those people could have easily been dedicated Fox News watchers or hillbillies or what have you. Maybe it's just because I live in a relatively educated area in the northeast (not counting the Jersey Shore cast, who aren't very representative of the state) but I have met very few people who couldn't answer those kinds of basic geography questions. I think part of the problem is that people think of the US as one uniform country, when there really is a lot of variation between the states. So it's unfair to judge all Americans based on the loudest/most vocal ones, who are usually the most ignorant. As for the Australian: I think you kind of made the others' point for them. YOU studied Southeast Asia because it's geographically relevant to you, therefore Americans should be expected to know more about South American geography because it's relevant to us.

GuessWhatKids 13

Everybody needs to chill the **** out and stop ******** on people for not knowing where Paraguay is. I personally have a borderline genius IQ, and although maybe it's just because I've yet to take a relevant geography class, I have no ******* idea where Paraguay is and frankly don't give a mound of horse shit about where it is, either. When the **** does anybody whose not going there or something similar need to know that? Exactly, they don't, so slow down with all the blind claims of ignorance.

I was adopted from Paraguay and now live in the U.S. When I tell people where I was born they don't know where I'm even talking about or that it is in south America.....my school never taught much about Paraguay so let's not jump to conclusions about anything..

Okay...to everyone arguing up there...stfu no one cares.

I can't give you the longitude and latitude of Paraguay, but I sure as hell can find it on a map

Uhm, to the 15 year old "psychologist"... Just because you know the names of parts of the brain which control movements does in no way, shape or form make you a psychologist. I've been taking psychology for a year (this school year will be my second), and trust me buddy, it's a lot more than knowing about the central nervous system or your gross motor skills. Oh hey wait! Does this make me a 19 year old psychologist!? Goodie :)

Why would The national bird of another country effect me at all? If I go to another country I always do research to learn as much as I can before I go. No need to fill my brain with useless facts. I have enough to remember.

Wow! I should have a PhD in reality TV then! Duh.

mduffy08 8

OH. MY. GOD. SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT THE **** UP!! Thanks to you morons, especially the 15-year old idiot who fancies himself a psychologist and the morons who claim that geography isn't important, I've lost another 846 brain cells. What the **** is wrong with you? For the love of all that's good and holy I hope the mods never delete this thread so everyone can bask in the warm glow of all its glorious failure. You people should be ashamed of yourselves. Oh, and for GuessWhatKids, I would expect a borderline genius to know that "whose" is possessive and "who's" is a contraction. But I guess grammar is as important as geography.

baddawg365 0

87- To be considered an "expert" you have to log 10,000 hours on a given subject... You're 15 that's basically impossible because I highly doubt you are a savant and if you were you would probably already be on your way to being distinguished. So no you are not an expert.

Holy shit... This thread is long... Idiots.... Idiots everywhere!!!

I can understand that people might not know where Paraguay is, or even what it is, what upsets me is the amount of people saying they "frankly don't care". How will we ever be able to make the world a better place if no one cares? Knowledge about other countries/places comes with understanding and a lot of problems like racism could be prevented/solved with knowledge. If you don't care, you won't know what's true/false and you might end up believing all the prejudices you hear and that is an issue.

Next, you people are going to say you've never heard of Azerbaijan and that you don't think it exists.

Wow, I read em all! Except the reallllllly long ones...how do you get so wrapped up in fml to write that much?

50- I'm also a psychology major in my third year, and being a psychologist does not mean in any way that world ignorance is a given.

Inediblepeaches 15

Why do people feel the need to type paragraphs upon paragraphs to prove themselves right? Also, how the hell did an FML about Paraguay turn into something about psychology? This is giving me a headache *=_=

I think it's safe to say the 15 year old who calls himself a "Liberal Psychologist" is infested with misinterpretations and ignorance. If you have a look at my profile, I say I'm studying psychology, perhaps you should do the same to make sure your not playing with fire, doc.

DMarie2014 5

It's in South America.. by Argentina I believe..

DMarie2014 5

LOL. Really? I'm not from South America I'm from Texas and I KNOW where Paraguay is. Not only did I learn about countries in World Geography, but I had to know it in Spanish 1,2 and 3. Take from someone who lives in S America and someone who's studied it..

#50 you're not 15 and a psychologist. You're 15 and a douchebag

#50 is an idiot. And I'm from Europe and I will admit, I didn't know where Paraguay was. But I do know practically all the countries in Europe/Asia/Africa. We don't really focus on the USA at my school:)

bRower 3

I finally reached the end!! That was almost as amusing, but equally as frustrating, as some of the threads about weed!

Trisha_aus 15

Holy shit ****...there are people actually saying that geography isn't important? This is basic..kiddy stuff..as in locating a country..and Paraguay is well known..if you don't know at least if you watch soccer you should know they played against Spain in FIFA 2010..anyone recall? Yeah..that place exists! As for locating it, you should know the continent at least..and honestly it's not that difficult I just remember it is in between Argentina and brazil..there are much tinier and harder places to locate..c'mon now. Oh and another, there is also a place called uruguay, also near argentina and Brazil. It's ignorance not stupidity. Ok cheers!

Have you done Masters? Have you done a PHD? No? You're not an expert, you're a student.

I'm kinda sorta a geography nut, so I can probably point out Paraguay on a map. Now that that's out of the way... PROTIP: If you want to find Paraguay on a map, look for the one that has "PARAGUAY" emblazoned across it in block letters. Unless someone is seriously ******* with you, you will probably not be wrong. This is probably the most inane (and lengthy) thread I have ever seen. It rivals Sherdog forums and YouTube comments. -_-

114-It's statistically prove that 1 in 2 American college students don't know where Iraq is, a country that has been circulating our mass media for the past decade and shown on maps numerous times. Using that statistic it would be safe to assume that more college students don't know where Paraguay is. I'm not trying to be rude just throwing out some numbers, however for the entire country I haven't seen a statistic on it yet so for all Americans that's still up in the air. I agree with you whole heartedly that everyone should at the very least should be able to tell you its in South America but the sad truth is not everyone can because they either dicked around in school or our deteriorating educational system failed to deliver even the most basic of knowledge about a country who in a nutshell lives on the same street as us. Our educational system is not meant to inform us on world history, geography, science, mathematics, english and any other subject; that is just a facade. The real reason for schooling is to deter children from expressing themselves though creative, expermentive, and questioning outlets which is enforced by, don't question your teachers, parents, or any other authority figures. The reason why the majority don't ask why anymore is because we are taught not to. The reasons for that are a story for another day but I digress. To reconnect back to the main subject, I do feel slightly embarrassed for my generation that a vast majority could not say where Paraguay is or even if it's a country but at the same time it's because they never asked why as a kid which put them in this place not because they are ignorant or incapable of knowing and that's what I really am ashamed of. To the kid claiming to be a psychologist, I like the desire to learn, study, and question, don't every lose that but like other people said expertise will come in time and there is no rush at such a young age. I'm 19 and have been playing guitar for 10+ years, I think I'm good but in no way consider myself a master with still so much to learn, literally limitless knowledge that an entire lifetime can't cover but I still press on and you should as well. It only take a person 10,000 hours to master any thing from a technical aspect so please everyone keep prusuig what you love and always ask why.

If in 2007, 20% of Americans could not find the United States on a map. Obviously, this is not a majority of Americans. However, if there were that many people that couldn't even find their home turf, I bet the number is much higher for locating a country in South America. It still may not be a majority, but it will still be a ridiculously high number.

I don't know how much basic World Geography is taught in American schools, but I believe that everyone should at least be taught where countries, especially those close to them, are located. I can understand if people don't know where Paraguay is, but those who say geography is useless irritates me. This is my personal opinion, but since USA is a superpower which intervenes so much in global affairs I feel that their younger generation should know more about the world...

People like xXHollowIchigoXx give teenagers a bad name. I'm ashamed to be 15.

sfkayla 1

You're ignorant for thinking that someone who doesn't know where a country is (that ALOT of ppl don't know) is ignorant. It's stuck up ppl like that that make perfectly capable ppl look stupid because they don't know something you know. He probably knows something you don't (though I'm sure you'd think there's no way that's true b/c that's how ignorant you are) or it's quite possible he's very knowing/talented at something that you don't know anything about. Something that doesn't require knowing where **** Paraguay is. But, ignorant ppl tend not to see that or admit that it's just as good as having knowledge of countries. Which apparently you must be able to locate all of them by the way you're talking. And for that I congratulate you.

sfkayla 1

That may be the correct definition but the way ppl use it generally just sounds like someone is stupid. Saying "you're ignorant of the location of Paraguay" is one thing but just saying "You're ignorant" sounds much more insulting. It doesn't always matter what the CORRECT meaning of a word is. It matters how people generally use it commonly in society. Do you expect me to believe that someone is calling me joyous and happy if they call me gay?

125 awesome comment that is very correct.

jdyo3 5

I will now hopefully never forget where Paraguay is after reading that entire huge thread

This IS the longest thread I've ever seen. Who knew the location of Paraguay was so controversial?

DKjazz 20

I think it's really funny that so many of the comments on this thread are ABOUT how long this thread is. That includes this comment right here. We're not making this thread any shorter, people.

243, Get it in your thick skull your not gonna have a world where everybody cares.

My favorite voluntary hand movement? Bitch slapping. Yay for brains!!

This thread keeps sounding more and more like Miss Teen South Carolina.

laoxo16 10

what is happening to ouur society? likee really. by the way this is the 50th reply.xx

FirebirdF350 7

275, and for those of us who don't give two ***** for soccer? Ever think maybe some people don't watch it? Your argument is flawed just for that. geography is not the most important subject, subject importance is completely based upon personal choice of career or interests, as a mechanic I don't need to know, but I know the psi I can pump through a stock 85-92 TPI Chevrolet small block 350 using a procharger system without requiring any tuning or new internals, that isn't taught in every school, nor is geography fully covered in every school. So why don't you think again? plenty of things are general knowledge to me that wouldn't be to you, and vice-versa. Does this make me less intelligent?

alisidewinder 9

I'm from the US and I know where Paraguay is. I learned that in fifth grade...

You dumb ****. I'm 15 and your making us look like idiots. Just cause your American doesn't mean you tell everyone how stupid you are and try to act smart because you say you like psychology.

How much do you want to bet some of the people on here claiming they know where Paraguay is just recently googled its location?

Youngnut18 6

Umm yeah I think all of you guys are getting a little bit too serious and into your arguments. Remember, this is the Internet. "Arguing over the Internet is like winning the special Olympics, you may get gold, but you're still retarded."

Education aside, I would've thought more people would have heard about Paraguay through stuff like football (soccer) or miss universe. But I guess they aren't popular in certain parts of the world.

CombatMayhem 5

That's because nobody cares about Canada.

Heard of it, could definitely find it, don't give a shit where it is. Don't see why people are freaking out, a lot of schools in America, even ones that teach World Geography, don't make you learn the locations of every country, nor do they talk about every country specifically. They go over continents, they talk about the culture, the land formations, so on and so forth. If your teacher decided to lecture you on Paraguay, congrats. I'm living a fairly successful life not knowing exactly where it is, what its capital is, and all its neighboring countries

I made an account just for you, you should feel proud.. First of all I could not tell you where Paraguay is, but I know it is in South America. Second, I happen to watch **** from time to time, does this make me an EXPERT because of how much I STUDY it? Should I become a sex therapist? A **** star? Will i always make any woman I have sex with deeply satisfied? No. You should have "just stopped" a loong time ago buddy

RocketNinjaFish 12

I know this is an old FML, but I'm just going to say for anyone who still cares that not all schools teach geography. I live in Australia. In our classes, we learned about our country. Anything outside Australia, we weren't taught. I couldn't say where Paraguay is (but I definitely know it exists) because I never learned it. That doesn't make me stupid. When it comes to maths, I'm one of the best in my class ;) And to the "psychologist" (not that you'd get a chance to read this because it's an old FML) I don't care how much you think you know about psychology, there is no way you can be an "expert" at 15. I'm 17, and I study psychology, too. You don't see me claiming to be an expert, because I know I'm not. You've got to study for years to be even a psychologist, let alone an expert. Saying you are an expert at 15 only shows that you are an arrogant kid that has a lot to learn. Grow up and learn your place.

Okay, I have no clue how I made it, but I read all the comments. I'm from Canada. When I go to the U.S., no one knows where I live. They know Canada but they don't know that there's a french part in it even though it touches Vermont (among others). I took a class about South America, that's the only way I can say that I remember about it and it's been years. Yes I know it's been yearSSS since the FML was posted. It's a personal victory for me to have posted a comment anyway. :)

"Not a lot of people do" Probably just your fellow countrymen.

OceanBlueSea 12
andriy_fml 0

Well now she can make the money back by betting with her boyfriend when it comes to geography lol

NzaHaFML 13

If you ask him to locate another country, I guess Uruguay is out of the question.

persianjr1 7

I genuinely wish I could have been there to see your dad's face x)

How could OP not tell he wasn't the brightest to begin with? Seems like you could probably tell in conversation.

#3, how do you know that he loves OP? It didn't say anywhere in the FML that he loves her.

It said nothing about loving her. Only that he is a dumbass. Are you saying that he must be a dumbass to love her? Or at you saying that he loves her because he is a dumbass?

You guys are a bunch of ******* nitpickers.

Lol, one of my friends thought that Vietnam was in South America XD

Your friend should take a course at a local community college or something...

Or what I'm assuming is at the latest eighth grade history at any US elementary school/junior high.

beddington 7

I once had a conversation with one of my employees about the "Queen of Africa" when I told her there wasn't a queen of Africa she told me, Africa was a small country in South America. Amazing what the American school system is....

Bonzer 2

Wow, he is stupid, everybody knows Vietnam is in China.

Mankind - their is no hope for it. So I may as well join them and spell 'there' wrong in my previous sentence..

lexi365 20

I don't want to live in this country anymore!

It's okay. I was told by my friend that the moon was closer to Georgia than Florida is because you can see the moon, but you can't see Florida......

I think 207 meant to say "I dont want to live on this planet anymore."

I thought vietnam was under the eye of sauron

I don't know where that is either. Doesn't mean we're idiots. >_

93- Do you know every country in the world and where they are located??

manikkab0o 7

yes most people have an idea of the area where they are located, if not the exact location

jayhawkchik 4

Yes I do, as I attended 5th grade.

jayhawkchik 4

Yes I do, as I attended 5th grade.

It doesn't mean you're an idiot, it just means you're ignorant

You should probably bet your boyfriend $200 that it is a real country! Maybe he's so stupid he'll take it and you'll break even.

Hahahaha, you should make your boyfriend pay some of the $200 xD

flipcrazy 0

Boyfriend didn't make the bet.

hockeychicl003 6

at least he knew it was a country

Psych101 9

If he didn't know it existed, how could he know that it was a country?

No, he clearly didn't. Edit: 22 beat me to it

FlyinTurtle 7