Fundies say the darndest things

By Anonymous - 08/03/2020 02:04 - United States - Houston

Today, I opened a lesson with the phrase, "As we all know, the world is over 4 billion years old." One of my students immediately snorted and said, in all seriousness, that I was wrong, and that the Earth is only 6000 years old. A few of his classmates agreed. I teach geology at university. FML
I agree, your life sucks 1 694
You deserved it 233

Same thing different taste

Top comments

What did they base their stupid comment on? Fox News?

Comments

What did they base their stupid comment on? Fox News?

Michael Sawyer 11

Uhh, probably the BIBLE. religious nutz are like that when you try and say the earth is more than 6 thousand years old.

the_catherine 9

Why would a creationist (and maybe also flat earther) want to study geology?!

I mean I'm a creationist but I still like geology...

it's not the fact they are creationists entirely... it's the fact they seem to be the really bad kind. bible didn't say it, it's not real. they believe the bible encompasses all information and anything else is fake... I work with both groups. some believe the bible is a foundation other that it is the entirety of real and true information... we own a CNC machine, they have used it...

But the Earth is flat ... for as far as I can see. </LOL>

the_catherine 9

Yeah ok, but if you truly believe that the Earth is 6,000 years old, studying geology might not be the right path for you.

Its a religious thing. In sunday school they teach that acording to the bible the earth is only between 6 an 7 thousand years old. So the lesson here is never asume something that is so controversial

P DarklyKira 14

I thought getting into uni was harder

That freaking sucks! How can you teach anything when the students are that ignorant?

vbychkova 13

This is based on the creation theory that Christians and Jews follow. That earth was created when life was documented to have begun 4000 B.C. when man was first created. Because of a day in God’s time being 1000 years in our time, creation also has a theory that God’s 7 days in the Bible are actually 7000 years. Plus the 6000 years of man’s existence. Making the earth 13,000 years old. The earth being 4 billion years old is just as much of a theory as the creation theory to the eyes of others. So depending on your theory belief, either one could be classified as truth or stupid.

Tell them to leave since they know better than you