Easy mistake

By helper - 01/12/2009 06:15 - Costa Rica

Today, while dining at a restaurant I heard a women choking. I immediately ran to her, wrapped my arms around her and started giving her abdominal thrusts. She freed herself and slapped me. Turns out she wasn't choking, she was just laughing. FML
I agree, your life sucks 16 668
You deserved it 34 821

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Former lifeguard here: When you suspect someone is choking, you always identify yourself and ask if they need help first. If they need help, they will point at their throat and nod 'yes'. Grabbing someone from behind without warning may actually cause them to choke. YDI.

If she was really choking, you wouldn't hear anything.

Comments

oh and sorry for my misspellings before anyone calls me out on them

MadJester 0

You are always supposed to ask them if they're choking and if they need help. Second, you need to ask if they're pregnant because grabbing them the wrong way could do serious damage. YDI.

MadJester 0

@#22 You watched Trauma last night didn't you? ;)

In certain scenarios, this is a form of foreplay.

If you can "hear" choking then DO NOTHING! Hemlich is for when the person can't breath. Pro Tip: that means they make no noise at all.

Haha my laughter sometimes sounds like choking, I think it's funny which just makes me choke-laugh even more !

realdex 0

if she laughed, so there were other people with her right? You should ask first.

If you were never trained in the Heimlich, then you probably didn't follow procedure considering how simple it is. [this is part of CPR training from the Red Cross]. Step 1: Figure out of they're choking.. if you say you did this step then you are lying, because this step includes asking the choking victim: "Are you choking?"... Step 2: Heimlich.

piles_of_fail 0

When you're choking, some air might come out in small bursts, but no air is getting back IN. When I was younger my mom would be able to tell I was choking without looking because she's hear a distressed sound. I can't exactly describe it for lack of perfect memory, but there usually is a sound that can be made with air coming out.

Two FML's from the same place in Costa Rica?