Easy mistake

By helper - 01/12/2009 06:15 - Costa Rica

Today, while dining at a restaurant I heard a women choking. I immediately ran to her, wrapped my arms around her and started giving her abdominal thrusts. She freed herself and slapped me. Turns out she wasn't choking, she was just laughing. FML
I agree, your life sucks 16 668
You deserved it 34 821

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Former lifeguard here: When you suspect someone is choking, you always identify yourself and ask if they need help first. If they need help, they will point at their throat and nod 'yes'. Grabbing someone from behind without warning may actually cause them to choke. YDI.

If she was really choking, you wouldn't hear anything.

Comments

You always ASK the person if they are choking, and if can they breathe. If they can't, and it's a stranger, ask them if they want you to help. They will show you with hand/head movements whether they need your help or not. The other posters are correct, who said that if a person is truly choking, no sound comes out. I saved my sister once just that way. Otherwise, you're risking hurting someone and having a lawsuit slapped on your over-eager azz.

nonynony 0

"It doesnt mean you should wait for it to get serious and not help her untill it does" Are you kidding? By doing abdominal thrusts when it's not necessary, you'll put the person in MORE danger, by causing whatever's in their mouth to become fully lodged in their throat. People need to take first aid/CPR classes instead of just pretending they know what they're talking about. You'll end up killing someone.

the heimlich manouvre shouldn't be used at all - it can be very dangerous, instead, 4 firm blows between the shoulder blades should be administered, but of course only after you've asked do they need help and they have nodded to you. if it's a child, you put them over your knee first.

This is an urban legend. My boyfriend is an EMT and he says that it very specifically says not to use that method because it's almost 50/50 which direction it causes the object to go (i.e., further down the throat which is bad, or up and out). Every manual that emergency medical professionals use say to first encourage the victim to cough, and if that doesn't work, to use abdominal thrusts (the Heimlich).

I'm an EMT, and that's bullshit...on adults and children if the airway is completely obstructed you use the hemlich to the object out... only if the patient is an infant, you use five back blows followed by five chest compressions with two fingers, then if the patient goes unconscious, you proceed with standard CPR, 2 breaths for every 30 compressions with adults and children and 2 breaths for every 15 for babies younger than 1 year. If the airway isn't completely obstructed (ie. the patient can cough or speak) encourage them to cough it up until the object comes out or until the airway becomes completely obstructed

belle053 0

hahahahaahaa so funny ahahahahahaa

how was "she's choaking" the first thong that popped into your head. I think you've been watching too many hero movies

are you serious? i doubt it.. if you are talk about being melodramatic, you need to get out more!

Just a word to the wise: 1. If you can hear coughing or choking they are getting air. DO NOT attempt to dislodge the object - they will cough it up by themselves. If you try, you may joggle it enough so that it actually sticks. 2. If they cannot get any air in or out and are truely choking it will be silent. First, get them to lean forward. Deal a sharp blow with the base of your hand to between the shoulder blades. Try this a few times. If it doesn't work, THEN try the heimlich maneuvre but not before. The heimlich maneuvre is a last resort action because it can and often seriously damages internal organs in that area eg. the pancreas. If the object is removed and you used the heimlich maneuvre, CALL AN AMBULANCE ANYWAY. The person should IMMEDIATELY go to the hospital because they could be bleeding internally. If they heimlich maneuvre doesn't work keep trying both options until they fall unconcious. At that point, their airways will hopefully relax so they may be able to get the object out. Either way, start doing CPR (once you're unconcious and not breathing you are pretty much definately going to go into cardiac arrest).