Do it then

By Anonymous - 14/08/2009 01:59 - United States

Today, while I was working at Starbucks, a customer spilled her drink all over the counter. After I cleaned up her spill and remade the drink (for free), she exclaimed, "Thanks! I should really tip you!" Then she turned around, walked directly past the tip jar, and left the store. FML
I agree, your life sucks 49 358
You deserved it 3 498

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Jazzywrites007 2

Run outside. Slap it out of her hand. Run inside. Fyl, honey... =)

It's annoying when people talk about doing something and then don't do it.

Comments

Siren_00 0

Boo hoo. I work in retail, and while I don't have to clean up spills in the store, the people who do don't get any tips. It's just part of the job.

She only ever said that she should, not that she would. Whether she's too lazy, or poor - or whatever, when she says she should, it probably means she won't. Only get your hope up over will.

visage 0

Do you understand why an FML is? Help ne understand this... you did your job, someone decided to pass on an optional tip and in some sick twisted way your life is F'd because you didn't get a $3 tip?

bobby222 0

YDI for not getting a real job. People like you are responsible for our failing economy. :/

You're an idiot. How is this not a real job? When I go to Starbucks to get my coffee, there needs to be someone behind the counter to take my order. How does working at Starbucks cause the economy to fail? Do you even know anything about the economy? I'll take that as no.

Think you failed economics there, it's people in retail and their customers who are helping prop up the economy not the other way around! ... and American broke the economy BTW, it was like this when we got it.

#17, you're a ****, pure and simple. Just what defines a REAL job? I'd be interested to hear what you do/

_THE_MASTER_ 0

here i was thinking it was illegal immigrants, unfair taxes amounts on minimum wage workers, spill-over from bush economics, etc for our failing economy. thank you for enlightening fools like me who were too blind to notice that it was baristas who got us into this mess. Really? you're that stupid? tell us, what part of waking up before sunrise, getting to work right before sunrise, and dealing with pompous assholes that early in the A.M. and pretty much all day doesn't fall under the description of 'real job'? what do you call a 'real job'? cuz I'm sure I'm not the only one who'd like to know. (SIDE NOTE: yes, I said illegal immigrants. go **** yourself if you're offended, and no, I'm not a racist. I have much respect for anyone who comes here legally and works towards citizenship. so **** off)

THANK YOU FOR THE ILLEGAL COMMENT! i roundly applaud you. ^_^

YDI. I'm tired of the tip jars at Starbucks, whose workers get so many more benefits than others. If you're even part time, you get full medical benefits at Starbucks. And, it's not like being a "barista" is that back breaking and hard. I'd rather tip the kids at McDonalds, who are working hard and running around. Or any other fast food joint. Making coffee is not hard.

I don't even care how hard any fast food type job is, you don't reward somebody a tip for simply doing their job and nothing more.

people that work at starbucks are running around too! probably more so than at mcdonald's. you clearly don't know everything a barista does, it's not only about making your ******* coffee perfect!

#20, your STUPID. i have worked with starbucks for FOUR YEARS now. when you come into one of our stores, you should have LEGENDARY service. we are supposed to make it your 3rd place! when you go to mcdonalds, or even a sit down restaruant, does it seem like that actually CARE about you? no. we try to get to know our customers-build a relationship. we remember names and drinks to order. we do not ASK for tips, there is only a jar there for customers who feel that we DESERVE it. i have had many customers ask if we can take it off their gift card or credit card. if you dont wanna tip then WHO CARES. DONT DO IT. we're not gonna cry about it. i hate it when people talk about four dollars for a cup of coffee. sorry but its BARELY a few cents over two dollars. if you want something fancy, more complicated, and with more ingredients its going to cost more, obviously.

Obviously, you're not in school while you have been working for those four hard years at Starbucks. Um, it's you're not your. And it's coffee. Yes, I go to Starbucks, but rather have Peets and go there as well. I tip when it's totally out of the way, etc. but give me a break that you care more about me. Not the Starbucks I go to - it's JUST a paycheck, and nothing more.

dont be a bitch #87, i actually have very good grammar. am i getting graded on FML? no. so no i dont give a shit about writing perfect on here.

MBrabs1996 22

Well I work at Starbucks and I can honestly tell you that it's not as easy as it looks. You're constantly running around cleaning spills and the like, you have a set amount of time to do certain tasks throughout the day (we actually have timers and the time isn't as much as you might think) we have to memorize how to make each drink and have a set amount of drinks that we have to hand off in a certain amount of time, you have to make them correctly which isn't always easy to do since what's written on the cup isn't always clear, etc.

marrymejulietx 0

How is this an FML? You don't work for tips, you make minimum wage. You shouldn't get tipped for doing what's in your job description UNLESS you don't make minimum wage. Remaking a drink for free after someone spills their first is pretty much standard as far as the customer service industry goes. If anything, YDI for expecting someone to tip you, even based on what she said.

_THE_MASTER_ 0

clearly, you don't have a big view of the world. let me help you figure this one out. In most places in the nation "minimum wage" is barely livable. you MIGHT make enough on minimum wage to cover you basic expenses and thats generally only if you make it to 40 hours each week. my best guess is that minimum wage was origionally implemented for the people who really didn't need to be making enough to cover rent, electric, heat, cable, phone, car, insurance, etc. like high school students who needed to get acclimated into the working world. the real point here is that the OP did something nice for the person, free of charge because of the customer's error, and the customer decided to be a total bitch and say 'i should definitely tip you' and then ran off. wtf is that shit? i'd follow her out, knock the drink from her hand, and go back to my duties. and if she came in and asked for a new one, i'd tell her to friggin buy it. end of story.

Wow, somebody has a strong sense of self-entitlement. You're acting as if the OP had to go through back-breaking work to please the customer.

That is exactly what a customer service job is about. Yeah it might be annoying to clean up and make a new drink, but that is your job, to provide a great experience for every customer so they want to come back. I work in retail and it definitely isn't in my job description to go out to cars and help people hook up their phones to their cars bluetooth, or help elderly people program in all their numbers, but I do it when asked and sure as hell don't expect a tip from it. Customer service is all about going above and beyond and if you don't understand that you probably should find a better job.

marrymejulietx 0

Lol have you ever worked anywhere in customer service? It would be considered BAD SERVICE for the OP to not remake the customer's drink. In fact, I'm sure she would have gotten written up or some sort of warning for not doing so. She didn't go out of her way to do anything. She remade a drink and cleaned up a spill, two things I am very sure are IN HER JOB DESCRIPTION. If she had offered to remake the drink, add a pastry on for free, and carry this to the persons table/car/whatever, then that would be extraordinary service and deserving of a tip. Doing what you're supposed to do on a regular basis? Not tip worthy, no matter how you word it.

The OP wasn't expecting a tip off the woman... The woman said she "should" give her a tip but didn't. If the woman said she should tip her then didn't then she is a worm of the lowest order of life and must have the coffee drained upon her head. (For all those idiots out there, the woman pretty much said she would tip the OP, the OP didn't think, "oh I've done my job, lets make some money on the side out of this woman"

FML for doing your job? Maybe you should write a FML for how your life sucks instead. YDI