Jedi mind trick

By Anonymous - 12/04/2018 19:00

Today, while covering lunch for the self-checkout host, I noticed a customer walking away. I smiled and said, "Have a nice night!" A few minutes later, I saw that she'd left without paying on her machine. I'd smiled and waved at a lady as she stole from me. FML
I agree, your life sucks 3 807
You deserved it 805

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Lobby_Bee 17

Be calm and curtious to everyone you meet is a good personality trait. Your parents have taught you well.

You know her face pretty well though I'm guessing so if you see her next time, make sure she has an unforgettable experience.

Comments

You know her face pretty well though I'm guessing so if you see her next time, make sure she has an unforgettable experience.

Lobby_Bee 17

Be calm and curtious to everyone you meet is a good personality trait. Your parents have taught you well.

Been there, done that. She may have honestly done it on accident though, a lot of people aren't always paying attention to the task at hand and miss a step.

That lady is probably consumed with guilt and shame after being warmly greeted by someone she has just ripped off. Psych! She’s laughing and saying, “There is such a thing as a free lunch, sucker! I just had one!”

Someone let you take their lunch break for them?

no she was covering someone else's lunch break. it's a supermarket thing

How rude!! You should've helped her out with the grocery bags to her car.

Isn't your job as as self-checkout host exactly to prevent such things? Serious question since we only have self-checkouts at Ikea and I never cared to use them.

Yes, though some stores put more emphasis on customer service than security until the latter hits their bottom line hard enough. And many neglect to train all cashiers on that aspect very well, or sometimes at all. Even more concerning if they're a "back-up cashier". At my store some of the back-ups have enough training to theoretically run the self-checks so they get assigned to those if we're short handed while the normal cashiers run the full-service registers. Thankfully that doesn't happen too often but it can be frustrating for everyone involved.

Thanks! I would also think that they would include some safety measures into the software used at the self-checkouts to at least try to prevent this or alarm the self-checkout hosts that something is wrong so they can check and assist. As someone else said, maybe she just had problems with paying and didn't realize it herself.

That's okay. One time when I was working as a cashier this guy walked out with his arms full of stuff and he just smiled and said have a good night. But what can you do?