Do as I say…

By AllThatJazz - 15/04/2009 20:06 - United States

Today, I was stage-managing a school show. Some kids were goofing off backstage, so I yelled at them that they could hurt themselves. While walking back to my chair, I tripped over my own feet and fell 5 feet off the stage, shattering my cheekbone. FML
I agree, your life sucks 53 103
You deserved it 13 405

Same thing different taste

Top comments

stage managing is hard shit, been there. during a show I tripped trying to run off the stage, slid head first into a fridge door. you got my sympathy.

I_Hate_Cars 0

at least you didn't break your leg

Comments

#50: ALL performers are tools. This person was doing their job as a stage manager: to make sure no one gets hurt and to make sure the kids don't f*** stuff up. I can't tell you how many times performers ruin things for the entire play. They break props, scenery, screw up lighting cues (which I then always had to fix). And guess what? If you DON'T yell at people, they won't stop doing it. You were probably the kid who never listened so just shut up.

#54 Not all performers are tools. It goes both ways, there are performers who are respectful and quiet back stage, and people that need to learn not to mess around. Just as there are crew who are either lazy or too officious when they should do their job. I've been on both sides, professionally and not- either way its not right to tar everyone with the same brush. Incidently I slipped when running across stage and flew about 5 6 feet into a slide which stopped after a crash into a flat. Thank God it was pantomime!

Total FYL. The OP was just doing her job. Note that it was a SCHOOL production, what would have happened if it was the kid who broke their cheekbone? Parents would have sued and she would have lost her job. I'm in agreement w/ #12. #4 OBVIOUSLY hasnt been involved in a stage production to know how dangerous it can be to fool around back stage. "Hey! I have an idea! lets all run around and not pay attention where there could be expensive lighting/ sound equipment to break, as well as YOUR OWN props for the show, or heavy things can come flying down from the rafters at any time!" Yeah sounds great..... And thank you #34 it's appreciated (from someone who did crew for a few years)

thats incredibly bad luck :( hope your ok.

Miss_Tyff 0

Ouch, I can't imagine how badly it would hurt to shatter a cheekbone. Hopefully I'll never find out.... Hope you feel better soon though.

star123456 0

#36: yeah... wasn't trying to be funny.......

Aww, honey. I know how hard being stage manager is.

Professional stage manager here. I feel your pain. I've done shows on broken bones myself, and I can't stand people who don't do what they're supposed to do--people really do get hurt because people are goofing off, even if the relationship is indirect!

I clicked YDI....because I've done the same type of thing, and I totally think I deserved it.