Cool cool cool

By Anonymous - 30/12/2015 02:14 - United States - Las Vegas

Today, after living in my new apartment for barely three weeks, I found mice living under my dishwasher. When I brought it up to the managers, they said I'd have to pay for an exterminator myself since they weren't there when they cleaned. FML
I agree, your life sucks 20 375
You deserved it 1 424

Same thing different taste

Top comments

th3m3l33r 10

Check your lease. It should cover this situation. If not, call the organization that owns the apartments. The managers are rarely the top dogs.

That's not very mice of them to do that to you

Comments

found mice in my bedroom the night I moved in... 4 months later I'm still chasing them out.

pick up some menthol crystals from Amazon and peppermint essential oil. it repels mice and spiders(others bugs as well) mice can't stand the smell of menthol it burns their nose. the crystals hold the scent longer than the oil. mix the oil with water and spray the cupboards, under the appliances, and anywhere else that you find evidence. then spray around your Windows and doors to repel bugs and mice from getting in. Scatter some of the crystals around where you know they are. when I moved into my new place we had brown recluse in the bathroom and mice in the kitchen. I sprayed and scattered menthol and never had an issue since. 3 years now with no mice and only 3 spiders total. good luck

Mathalamus 24

Just pay up ad stay out of trouble. That's what I would do.

Not everyone wants to be a doormat and allow everyone to walk over them.

Mathalamus 24

alright. its just cheaper to be a doormat for minor inconsequential stuff so you can save it for the real important stuff to stand up on.

Hope you know the manager is dead wrong on that issue.

mariri9206 32

Yeah, because mice totally wouldn't hide and scurry if you're cleaning. A**holes.

You could either set mouse traps or buy a pet cat or snake. If you get a snake you can catch the mice and then you have free food for it for a while! lol

I'm not from the US, but from what I understand, as long as you have a lease agreement and you're doing everything legally in approach to your apartment, the landlord is not allowed to do that. It is their obligation to ensure their building, which includes individual units, is habitable. If there is problems, they have to fix it, that's part of the reason you pay them rent. If they don't comply, you write them a letter about the problem, what proceedings you will take if it is not fixed, and give them 14 days to remedy it before taking any legal action. These actions can include, terminating the lease, suing for damages, fix it yourself and deduct the expenses from next month's rent, or withhold rent all together. If you write the letter be sure to keep a copy for yourself, date, and sign it, maybe have a witness too, just so you have evidence and the landlord can't lie about anything.

It depends which state OP lives in. Some states' laws are written for the tenant (and some even have squatter's rights) while others (such as Kansas where I live) are geared toward property owners.

They live in Nevada, according to the top of the FML anyway. This is the law in that state as long as they have a rental agreement and everything is legal and documented. I did my research lol.

Or you could take the Disney princess route and just sing to them and teach them how to clean! Voilà! Problem solved.

You should use non-lethal mouse traps... They don't deserve to die :)

loser! she should use the ones with spikes so it would be the most painful experience the mouse has ever had!

Why don't you offer to peacefully remove them for free, hippie? I ain't a fan of animals, but there's no need to save or to torture them. Rat traps will get the job done. Snap. Dead. Throw away.

ManicGypsy 22

The laws concerning who's responsibility it to pay for extermination vary from state to state. You should check with your state laws concerning tenant rights.