Control freak

By fred - 12/09/2023 07:30

Today, I had to explain to my girlfriend that you can't see a guy you've hooked up with "like a brother." It's not even the first girlfriend I've had to explain this to. Block him or I block you and leave. FML
I agree, your life sucks 449
You deserved it 711

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Leave her. You shouldn't be dating anyone. Everyone else: If your SO insists that you not see your friends, that person is an abuser who is in the process of isolating you from all other sources of emotional support, and from anyone who might empower you to leave when things get really bad. It's a huge red flag. Get out now, while you can.

People can, in fact, maintain friendships with people that they were once attracted to. Hooking up in the past doesn't mean it'll happen again- it could be that they both agree they're incompatible in the bedroom/as a couple or they may have concluded that they just don't feel that way about each other anymore. You need to grow up and stop trying to control your girlfriend, or else you'll never have one for long.

Comments

I wonder if boyfriend were maintaining a friendly relationship with a former sexual partner if girlfriend would think that was OK? As they said in Ghostbusters - “The door swings both ways.” (Different context, though.) … OP, while you don’t have a right to force GF to no longer be friends with a former sexual partner, If you don’t trust her, forget the ultimatums and break up with her. Ultimatums don’t lead to a healthy relationship - Nor does lack of trust. I do understand your concerns, but there are bigger issues here. You do have a right to express you feelings. And you have a right to break up if the relationship isn’t working. But nothing good comes from ultimatums.

The guy I dated on and off for 5 years is my best friend. We worked out better this way.

I have to wonder how people would vote if the tables were turned and the girl was who posted the FML about the guy and a girl he'd previously hooked up with. Regardless, I can understand how it may be awkward, but as someone who's still very close friends with an ex and now happily married, I can say that there is total trust from all parties and no controlling/threatening behavior. So... yeah, unless she's actually cheating, there's nothing wrong with her being friends with her ex.